Aeonium velour

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aeonium velour

Post by JaneO »

Sorry Tony!

Looking so much better.
IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aeonium velour

Post by Tony R »

Perfect, Jane, and it's not even Easter! Just shows you how quickly the colour can return given the right conditions. (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Thanks Tony. Not sure about perfect but it's an awful lot better. Colour might be perfect by Easter.....
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Rosebourne Garden Centre had fresh delivery of these from Holland today. They are in the same pots as mine was originally. They are now £25!

I actually think mine looks healthier!
Attachments
IMG_8638.JPG
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

They look like cabbages compared to your lovely coloured up specimen.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

My 'Velour' isn't looking anything like as good as yours, Jane
Velour.jpg
'Zwartkop' looks even worse. Not the best time of year for either.
Zwartkop.jpg
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

As Aeoniums are winter growers. I have come to the conclusion they do better if kept above freezing and watered a little. This stops them losing so many leaves and keeps them fresh and taunt, so that come our spring, which is like their winter, they can take off and grow. This makes them much more likely to flower and gives us the opportunity to see them in flower and collect seed. The other possibility is to see them in habitat, which is a lesson in itself, and appreciate them for what they are. I guess this applies to every plant we keep in our greenhouses, so much better in its own habitat.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Thanks for your kind remarks! I think mine looks healthier because I kept in an unheated room indoors! It is now in south facing conservatory and hence gaining colour. What is the grey variegated plant under your slightly sad Aeonium Mike? That's lovely contrast. As Liz says, I do water mine a bit over winter. Jane
Andrew9
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Andrew9 »

Just snapped this photo of my A. Velour, it's been outside on my patio all winter soaking up as much rain as we get. I protected it with a fleece bag during 'the beast from the east'.
A velour.jpg
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Andrew,
Great looking plant. You're a lot braver than me. I would never have left such a beauty outdoors, with or without protection. Your plant even looks as though it came in similar pot to mine originally. Has it by any chance got label with velours with S on it? Jane