Plant of the Month

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Plant of the Month

Post by Ali Baba »

It was nice to see Rebutia marsoneri featured as Plant of the Month, as it is my favourite Rebutia species.

I have a few clones, some of which may not be marsoneri!

This is one of my 2 'proper' marsoneri
mtypical.JPG
I also have a long spined form, which has slightly paler flowers, especially when they are a few days old, but still has the rather wide stems of marsoneri. It doesnt quite fit the general appearance of marsoneri though, or senilis. Perhaps a hybrid?

Here it is next to the first plant (long-spined one at the top)
typic and long spined.JPG
and on its own
long spined.JPG
Finally I have a short spined variety, which came from John Pilbeam as Rebutia something v. brevispina (lost label!). It looks very much like marsoneri, but the stems are smaller at maximum size, and the flowers are a lovely cadmium yellow, however they look a bit paler than that in the photo compared with real life.

short spined.JPG
All of them have purple buds, green fruits and lovely purplish red washes on the outer side of the tepals.
Enjoy :grin:
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Plant of the Month

Post by JaneO »

Gorgeous and huge plants! Fabulous colour yellow too. Could the missing word be Rebutia neocumingii brevispina?

Looks similar. Jane
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Lovely plants Ali. There's nothing like a profusion of bright yellow flowers to brighten up the day. :smile:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

The flowers are definitely alike on those top two R. marsoneri clumps, even if the spines are a bit different. I think I'd agree that it does look more like a form of R. marsoneri than R. senilis, which tends to have even longer spines.

I've got a plant somewhat like your "brevispina" plant, although mine was grown from CSSA seed under the name Rebutia krainziana v. breviseta. (Jane: it's certainly not a Weingartia - they have much stronger spines).

Anyway, you have some splendid plants there, even if Rebutia names tend to be a bit perplexing...

Ralph
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

ralphrmartin wrote:The flowers are definitely alike on those top two R. marsoneri clumps, even if the spines are a bit different. I think I'd agree that it does look more like a form of R. marsoneri than R. senilis, which tends to have even longer spines.

I've got a plant somewhat like your "brevispina" plant, although mine was grown from CSSA seed under the name Rebutia krainziana v. breviseta. (Jane: it's certainly not a Weingartia - they have much stronger spines).

Anyway, you have some splendid plants there, even if Rebutia names tend to be a bit perplexing...

Ralph
You can see Rebutia senilis for comparison just to the right of the long spined plant in the picture with two marsoneri plants in.

krainziana v breviseta sounds plausible (but I bought the plant around 20 years ago so I'm unlikely to be remembering it accurately: perhaps I should email John Pilbeam a picture and see what he thinks...). However all my krainziana plants have bright white areoles and spines, which this plant doesn't. Not sure if that is significant or not.

I'm always perplexed that cactus growers haven't taken up using cultivar names in the same way as say orchid growers have. Much easier to keep track of plants with specific desirable qualities, without having to worry about taxonomic changes.

Thanks for everyone's appreciative comments :grin:
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Ali Baba wrote: Finally I have a short spined variety, which came from John Pilbeam as Rebutia something v. brevispina (lost label!). It looks very much like marsoneri, but the stems are smaller at maximum size, and the flowers are a lovely cadmium yellow, however they look a bit paler than that in the photo compared with real life.
Just R. marsoneri var. brevispina which John sold at his nursery in the 1990s.
Particularly short upper spines, < 2mm.
John Donald first described this variety, nom. nud.
John P. put in in synonymy with the type in his Rebutia book. Pages 56 and 131.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks Tony, that is helpful. Although a n.n. it ought to have a cultivar name as the flowers are a very nice shade.