I'm calling this the first

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

I'm calling this the first

Post by iann »

My first proper cactus flower of the year, first natural one outdoors anyway. The white one behind has a way to go yet.
valdezianus-0309.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Re: I'm calling this the first

Post by Ali Baba »

Always a welcome sight. Mine are way behind (both purple and white), but I have had a few flowers on Mammillaria sanchez-mejordae
Ivan
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Ivan »

By outdoors you mean in the greenhouse, right? The only one I can leave out in the greenhouse is O. humifusa. I haven't got the nerve to try any others until I get an overabundance of a variety.

It's very nice. one of my favourites even though I have killed quite a few seedlings. The pot is a bit brittle? :wink:
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Ivan wrote:By outdoors you mean in the greenhouse, right? The only one I can leave out in the greenhouse is O. humifusa. I haven't got the nerve to try any others until I get an overabundance of a variety.

It's very nice. one of my favourites even though I have killed quite a few seedlings. The pot is a bit brittle? :wink:
In the greenhouse. I was reorganising today, taking out the hotbox and praying that it doesn't go to -10C next week.

Very old pot. It doesn't look it but that is one of my oldest plants. It was old, and nearly dead, when I got it about 15 years ago.
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Stenocactus is usually the first here (started middle of February), and is now joined by M. perezdelarosae. M. coahuilensis and M. pectinifera are getting close, too.

It's been an unusually warm (and sunny) winter here in CA, and I wonder if that will have consequences for cactus flowers this Spring (esp the likes of Rebutia and Lobivia). Many lithops are almost done changing leaves so they may get their first drink after the next rain storm passes through. My SA bulbs on the other hand didn't like the heat all that much and some are getting ready to go to sleep for the Summer.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Nice. You must be getting more warmth there in Cheshire than here in Staffs.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

rodsmith wrote:Nice. You must be getting more warmth there in Cheshire than here in Staffs.
Patchy. Good days are already very nice at this time of year, but a lot of dull wet days too.

Noticed an Acharagma flower yesterday. A. huasteca, much earlier than A. roseana.
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Here's A. huasteca
huasteca-0314.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Another winner. I've had 3 Mams flowering all winter for me. Maybe not a good thing. :???:
Mammillaria karwinskiana ssp. nejapensis, Mammillaria prolifera and Mammillaria vetula ssp. gracilis
All are very old plants but it may be too warm upstairs for them.