mancozeb

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

mancozeb

Post by Bob Sobelman »

it works wonders no algea. I have been using it for several years. I take a bucket of soil put on a tray
take 1.5 liters of water put 2 teaspoons of mancozeb in it them pour it over the soil. then let it dry out. then its ready for use. its a low risk fungicuide. no algea
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: mancozeb

Post by Chris43 »

Do you use this as preparation of compost for seed sowing? or just as part of your normal compost making process.

I currently dissolve a Chinosol tablet in my water for seed sowing, but am aware that it is getting more difficult to find. Also I have heard that this can inhibit germination, though I have never experienced any issue with this.

But if this product can do the same thing and is more accessible and probably cheaper, then that would be good.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Algae of course are essentially photosynthetic plants and mancozeb is a fungicide.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Plenty of Chinosol on EBAY from Germany, it's just the postage (£12.88p) that makes the price excessive. Also the price range for the same number of tablets is a puzzle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... l&_sacat=0
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Algae has become a problem for me early this year with my seedsowing. I have tried hard to sterilise compost, with different mixes, it seems those algae just can't get enough of a Perlite perch. I suspect my problem this year is not the compost but the water, having not been careful about, for example, boiling my rainwater before sowing, and not having used purchased distilled or otherwise "purified" water'

Do others boil water before immersing sown containers? Does this prevent algae? Is using some easily-available steriliser like Milton tablets a good way of getting a good start? (It certainly destroys green algae in water containers left in light pretty quickly, and I don't worry about residue after refilling after rinsing and drying containers, but is it OK to sterilise the water itself that way?)
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

The only times I have trouble with algae is when I use the bag method. So it's basically only with Blossfeldia, Aztekium etc. that I have issues with algae. For all other species I prefer to use a propagator and will usually remove the lid within 2-3 months after sowing. The conditions will then rarely get to the point where algae thrive.

The last few times I sowed, I filled pots with soil and watered from below with boiling water. Then I let it cool before sowing. I find this is sufficient treatment to keep most pots free of fungi and algae for the duration I keep them in the propagator. But it's not sufficient for the bag method where, in my experience, you basically have to completely sterilise everything if you're going to keep plants for months (or even years) in those bags.

Having something like chinosol or mancozeb or any other good fungicide available is always a good idea, but they obviously don't help with algae. I have sprayed with hydrogen peroxide on pots severely affected by algae. It seems to work fairly well without harming the seedlings, although you will likely have to repeat the spraying quite a few times. It's quite satisfying to watch the surface of the soil bubble and froth, killing all the algae as you watch :twisted: Although, if you are in a position where spraying is an option, you've already opened the bags so you're then letting in new spores for fungi to grow etc. Might just be better at that point to simply remove the pots from the moist atmosphere and try to keep them alive with regular spraying of water...
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

don't use chinsol
mancozeb completely stops algae I only use it for sowing seeds.dont have any algae for months. its used for helping germination. for tomatoes
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

Bob Sobelman wrote:don't use chinsol
mancozeb completely stops algae I only use it for sowing seeds.dont have any algae for months. its used for helping germination. for tomatoes
Mancozeb is a non-systemic fungicide. It does not control or combat algae unless the active ingredients kill algae as a side effect.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but as Chinosol has been mentioned does anybody know what is the recommended dilution rate of a tablet in water for seedlings as I still have some tablets left? It's a long time since I used them so cannot remember what Roy Mottram told me when I bought them years ago.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

DaveW wrote: does anybody know what is the recommended dilution rate of a tablet in water for seedlings as I still have some tablets left? It's a long time since I used them so cannot remember what Roy Mottram told me when I bought them years ago.
Hi Dave, I found this regarding the Chinosol Roy Mottram sold -
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83525&p=83756&hilit ... ets#p83756

Additionally on this - I have seen other German threads talking about using the "medical" tablets 1g per litre, although one post described that as his rate for a stock solution further diluted 1-1 before use. Also I saw quoted in an article about micropropagation, sterilising shoots for 3 mins in a 1g/l Chinosol solution..

For medical use as skin wash etc the recommended dilution rates can vary between 2-4l per 1g tablet, for what that's worth.