Puzzle Plant at Alpine Show

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Keith L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Puzzle Plant at Alpine Show

Post by Keith L »

Those of us who venture to such alien events are often intrigued as to what plants from the Cactus and Succulent World are found in their shows which we would regard as far from an Alpine.

The recent Loughborough show had an impressive Aeonium tabuliforme which if I remember correctly whilst growing on cliffs are at or not much above sea level.

And an Astrophytum myriostigma in a specifically hardy plant class.

Hopefully the attractive Sulcorebutia sp nova isn't going to add to the seemingly endless stream of new names in the genus.

But one plant that had three of us puzzled was labelled as Echeveria rosea
Puzzle Plant.jpg
This had three of us puzzled - we rather doubted the label! But subsequent searching of the web for possible identification has failed to find what it is. No doubt someone here will say it is obviously ....!

Thanks

Keith
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Puzzle Plant at Alpine Show

Post by JaneO »

Looks more like Crassula perfolita but not quite. Flower colour is similar.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Keith L wrote:Those of us who venture to such alien events are often intrigued as to what plants from the Cactus and Succulent World are found in their shows which we would regard as far from an Alpine.

The recent Loughborough show had an impressive Aeonium tabuliforme which if I remember correctly whilst growing on cliffs are at or not much above sea level.

Keith
From the Alpine Garden Society Botanical List (which includes Crassulaceae and Cactaceae)
Definitions: “Alpine or rock garden plant”: The term covers all plants, including shrubs, suitable for cultivation in a rock garden of moderate size or in an unheated frame or alpine house. It excludes any plants which will not survive an average British winter under such conditions but includes many plants which do not necessarily grow in mountainous regions.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

It is Echeveria Rosea, the label looks to have the correct name, it makes a rather scruffy plant but has remarkable flowers. Mine has been flowering for the past two months, It came from a branch meeting - Reading?? - where I'd gone to give a talk and there were some rather unexciting seed grown plants for sale at £1 each. I bought one just to see what it would do, without flowers it hardly looks worth growing.
Stuart
Keith L
BCSS Member

Post by Keith L »

Thanks for all your replies, and your identification, Stuart. Is it that the actual flower hasn't appeared as yet on this plant from the red whatever they are - we thought they were the whole flower. Bit of a beauty and the beast plant!

Regards

Keith
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Yes, definitely Echeveria rosea. The flowers are reasonably insignificant, buried away inside those bracts. Two surprising things about this - in nature it is often seen growing on trees or covering rocks, rather than in soil. And it is pretty hardy. My plant has survived -8C and a week below freezing, albeit damaged.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

There is a great picture of this species in John Pilbeam's book, Fig. 327 on page 236.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

It looked much healthier/happier in your recent photo Paul. Must be a credit to your good growing! Jane
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I think they like fresh air and moisture - nothing to do with me! :)

N. America I 'suppose' is strictly accurate, allowing that Mexico is part of the continent of North America.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Keith L
BCSS Member

Post by Keith L »

Thanks for your further comments. Seems like a good plant for the succulent identification class at a judges course either out of or even in flower- if they held one at this time of year!

Keith