seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

seeds

Post by Bob Sobelman »

planted seeds from kohres I gave the seeds to a friend. these where asto myrio from japan wonderful selection these where a new addition. I wanted to hear a wonderful success but kohres like kohres I was in for the normal pattern 10% germinatioin, they have a wonderful cat. I only buy there rare var. one of the big sup. told me if he gets seeds from outside sources he plants a selection to see the rate of germination. then only after this does
sell the seeds.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: seeds

Post by Nick_G »

Let them know. I have always found Bettina very willing to make amends when germination has been poor, she's a nice lady, very helpful.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

yes maybe you are right but if seeds are no good how do you make amends?? I have been buying seeds from them for over 35 years visited her father 3 times. bought from her grandmothers house on banhostrasse
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Have to say my Mesa Garden seeds are germinating wonderfully.
mary44
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by mary44 »

Herts Mike wrote:Have to say my Mesa Garden seeds are germinating wonderfully.
My Mesa Garden seeds are too. It is the first time I have had cactus seeds from them and the germination is brilliant. I have been so disappointed with the results from cactus seeds obtained from the BCSS over the past few years. I had assumed it was something I was doing wrong. BCSS mesemb seed though has been fine.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

mesa gardens has always had good seeds. the only problem with them that they don't haven the rare and new variaties such as uebelmannia discocactus rare astrophytum. also you see how they get around cities they only sell cities var in the united states
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

As I said in another topic recently, I've kept records over the last couple of years. Koehres weren't bad, compared with other suppliers (I have had nothing from Mesa Garden for over thirty years, and that was mesembs).

In 2016/2017 I sowed 134 packets of Koehres cactus seed, and 79% packets produced germination.
I don't have the figure for 2017 but in 2016 what germinated represented about 26% of number of seeds bought, 33% of total seeds from good packets, 26% of total seeds bought.

It all depends what you buy, of course, but I wasn't dissatisfied, and Koehres came over half way up my supplier success list. The only thing that stuck out from 2016 (when I thought after returning to the cactus fold I was having a one-off seed-raising year ha ha) was that I bought a few of their genus mixed packets, and practically none of that germinated at all, indicating perhaps that old or poor seed goes in those mixes. Having been re-bitten by the seed raising bug I wouldn't repeat that mistake again.

In general, apart from avoiding suppliers with obviously poor results, I just shrug my shoulders, Hard to complain when you're dealing with living (or dead!) material and caused of failure could involve your treatment.
oriky
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by oriky »

bad experiences with kohres for last 3 orders:
1: Tricho seeds, all the 10 packets was mislabeld
2: send me not the seeds i order, send again the seeds i order - 0% germ rate. - fell like she know why she not send the right seeds at the first time.

akk orders. very very low germ rate: 10% and less (except the tricho, - around 50-70%)
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

if you wan tricho seeds go to cactus store in the united states.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Bob,

I had 20-100% with Koehres' astrophytum hybrids seed this year.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/