Cono seedlings: premature sheathing

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Magi
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cono seedlings: premature sheathing

Post by Magi »

On Terry's website, the rule of thumb for raising conos from seeds is to water them consistently for the first 15 months while keeping them cool and shaded. I grew my seedlings under fluorescent lights, which generate a fair amount of heat. I reckoned the extra heat and light caused them to sheathed over at the age 8 and 11 months old.

Because it's almost spring here in Canada, would it be a good practice to force them out of their shells (i.e. skipping their first dormant phase) by continuing watering and feeding them, but this time placed them on my windowsill which is much cooler?

C.burgeri sown August 2017

C. obcordellum var 'mundun' sown Nov. 2017
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Re: Cono seedlings: premature sheathing

Post by daniel82 »

They are a little small but honestly to me they look okay. I personally wouldn't try to force them out of their sheaths right now, rather let them have a short dormancy first. Honestly though I am not as experienced with cono's as many of the others here so some might say different.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Re: Cono seedlings: premature sheathing

Post by AllanA »

I would let them have two weeks rest and then treat them as before.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias