Echinocereus ID?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ava
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Echinocereus ID?

Post by Ava »

I sowed several species to a pot and relied on placement to remind me which was which, but now all the seedlings are bigger and have been repotted a few times (and some seeds clearly ended up in different areas of the pot than they were meant to initially) I have some of them mixed up :/ This should be either Echinocereus reichenbachii perbellus, E. fendleri rectispinus or E. palmeri - can anyone help? From a few pictures E. fendleri looks the most likely but still not quite right (the very long spines at the top in particular). It's around 5 years old.

ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Echinocereus ID?

Post by ralphrmartin »

Tip: if you insist on potting multiple species per pot, then make sure they can't be confused (at least, when older). E.g. put no more than one species of each genus in the mixed pot.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

ralphrmartin wrote:Tip: if you insist on potting multiple species per pot, then make sure they can't be confused (at least, when older). E.g. put no more than one species of each genus in the mixed pot.
That's a good idea, I'll bear it in mind. This year I'm trying to find room for a pot of each species. Suppose I was just thinking they would like similar growing conditions.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Of the 3 species you list, it looks to be fendleri rectispinus.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

At that age and size it is almost impossible to tell, wait two years and it will be obvious, now you know label everything, most ( not all ) cacti seedlings look the same for quite a while.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

MikeT wrote:Of the 3 species you list, it looks to be fendleri rectispinus.
Thanks!
RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote:At that age and size it is almost impossible to tell, wait two years and it will be obvious, now you know label everything, most ( not all ) cacti seedlings look the same for quite a while.
Well, they were labeled, just not adequately. :razz: Perhaps I'm lucky in that my seedlings all do look very different. Neither of the remaining 2 Echinocereus actually germinated/survived.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

I agree with Mike.
Of the plants you name only E.fendleri v.rectispinus would have spines that long.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse