Rhipsalis compost

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Rhipsalis compost

Post by ragamala »

DaveW wrote:Not intended as a rant Ragamala, just pointing out that if you intend to be "green" you have to take every ramification of the change into consideration, not just a single aspect in order to be sure you don't cause more environmental damage than you solve by using the replacement.
You introduce the green argument. I didn't, just said that some folk have ethical reasons for avoiding peat. You use the typical false dichotomy argument by suggesting that the only alternative to peat is importing coir from far afield, in this case Sri Lanka mostly. You point to a worst case and seemingly use this to justify continuing using peat.

Your comments regarding cars are totally off-topic. If I were to comment nevertheless I would say your earlier reference to ozone layer holes displays a curious level of ignorance or mis-statement, despite your claims to be a googling pundit and all round knowledgeable guy, and your pseudo-green posturing.

This is not the right forum for political debate. I never intended that, and my input ends here.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Rhipsalis compost

Post by Ali Baba »

I use a loose mix of fine orchid bark, perlite, chopped sphagnum and for more vigorous species such as Disocactus some peat based Ericaceous compost. I imagine they will grow in any compost that is acidic, open, well drained and water retentive. I feed every watering with orchid fertiliser (Rain Mix)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I quite fancy giving Disocactus a go. I have seen them appear sometimes on Ralph's sales list and there seems to be some unusual-looking species. I'm not sure how well they'd do in a house. I keep seeing Lepismium monocanthum for sale in garden centres and that has really caught my eye too, but it's usually sold as big expensive plants and I think I'd rather try a smaller cheaper one!

If buying coir, are those dehydrated brick things okay?

Currently I've got a windowsill full of orchids and I've got a selection of trailing plants hanging so it would be handy to be able to use the same plant food for both.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

More or less similar to Orchid growing Kathy so you should have no trouble.

I get a few cuttings of the less common species from here, if you just want small cuttings to grow on yourself:-

http://seedlingsandcuttings.eu/index.php/our-products

No problem sending money to dealers in the EU if you use PayPal and everything comes through the post OK. I don't think they are open until next month though.

http://seedlingsandcuttings.eu/index.php

Regarding coir bricks you basically need a bucket and soak it until it falls apart. See:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXmHrx4KW_s
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

The coir bricks are ok but can tend to be more dust than fibre but I suppose that could depend on which brand you obtain.
I also purchased a bag of the brand 'Canna' coir and found it to be much better quality than the bricks I bought, less messy too.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I can't think of anywhere I've seen bags of coir for sale, but the brick things seem quite widely available. I've seen Monty Don say he uses coir bricks, but I don't suppose he buys his from poundland.

I've moved my Dischidia into a mix of bark, perlite and John Innes today because it wasn't very happy. I think I will try a similar kind of mix next time I do a Rhipsalis.

I've seen from the link that the plant I thought was called Lepismium monocanthum is listed as Pfeiffera monocantha. I've seen it called Rhipsalis before too. Some epiphytic cacti seem to have a lot of names!
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

Sent you a PM Kathy (tu)
You'll find it mainly online or in Hydroponic shops.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Many of the epiphytic cacti have been moved around from genus to genus and often back again Kathy, so you will find them under many names. Even Aporocactus has been "lumped" into Disocactus by some and then separated out again by others.

If you are interested in species epiphytic cacti rather than hybrids then this is one of the best articles I have come across. You need to scroll past the introductory part for the pictures. Unfortunately usually being rather more tender and lacking hybrid vigour, they are not so often grown, therefore harder to obtain than the hybrid so called "Epiphyllums". However luckily they are now becoming more common than previously.

https://www.scribd.com/presentation/556 ... ytic-Cacti
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Went around three garden centres locally today and non stocked Coir, either as the "brick" or loose, so it does not seem to be that popular with gardeners around here. They all had the Coir woven hanging basket liners, but not the sort you use to replace peat in composts.

I had to laugh when I saw some bags of potting compost labelled "Multipurpose Compost with added John Innes" as though JI was some wonder fertiliser added to it. Seems they will do anything to trade on the past reputation of the JI composts name rather than giving them a new more appropriate name and so calling them what it actually is.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Yes, DaveW :razz:

The RHS advice note on JI Composts is the most informative:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=952
It even upfront in the introductory paragragh notes:
Be aware though; currently offered JI composts may differ from the traditional product.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)