Rhipsalis compost

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Rhipsalis compost

Post by KathyM »

I have been trying to plant my cacti and succulents, and most other plants too actually, in soil-based compost, but wasn't sure what to use for epiphytic ones. What do people tend to use for Rhipsalis?
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Re: Rhipsalis compost

Post by RICHAUD »

compost is good for epiphytes if it is well decomposed
and add non-calcareous sand and perlite
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Unfortunately we Brit's also use the term potting compost to mean potting soil mixtures Richaud, which can cause confusion for Continentals and Americans who use it strictly for rotted plant material, our other use of the term. This presumably comes from the old days in Britain when gardeners used to make their own potting soils using soil, grit and well rotted compost for ordinary plants. I think Kathy means what you would call potting soil.

As you say very well rotted compost is OK for epiphytes as part of the potting soil. Though many use peat or leaf mould to produce potting soils for epiphytes. People grow them in many mixtures around the world Kathy, it's what works for your conditions as with all cacti.

See:-

http://rhipsalis.com/pottingmix2.htm
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Kathy
I asked the same question myself a few years back when I met Frank Supplie at a book signing ( his book " Rhipsalis & Lepismium ) and he said it had taken a few years of trial and error to settle on his substrate mix for these plants.
In broad terms it is
7 parts loam
7 parts fine bark
4 parts perlite
1 part lava
1 part sphagnun moss
if you cannot get a good dark loam J.I.3 would do, and the lava could be replaces with sharp grit or cat litter.
I started using this mix 4 years ago, it allows you to water more often because it drains straight though but still gives the plants the humidity they need and the change in the plants was quite noticeable even in the first year.
This last year I have moved Aporocactus and all epiphtic species onto this mix.
Hope this helps and good growing of a wonderful group of plants.
One last thought, remember to use a smaller pot rather than a bigger one again it helps with drainage.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Thanks for all the tips and sorry for the compost confusion. It sounds like maybe a mix between what I'd use for orchids and what I'd use for terrestrial cacti and succulents would be the kind of thing Rhipsalis would like.

I don't have that many Rhipsalis plants at the moment and they're the common ones bought in garden centres and Ikea so I'm not sure the ones I have would necessarily be particularly fussy. I am hoping to start growing more though, and other epiphytic cacti too, so I figured it would be a good idea to get it right for the more unusual species.

I bought a Dischidia nummularia plant recently and read that orchid compost would be good for that, but advice I found about Rhipsalis compost tended to be vague.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

I dont know what is called the product that I also use for epiphytes but here it is "grain of water"
they are grains that in contact with water swell more than 100 times by accumulating water and the plant will plunge its roots and use this water
we water less often the epiphytes which are plants greedy in water
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

UK term is "Water Gel" or "Water Saving Gel" and is mainly used for containers with seasonal bedding.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the Rhipsalis mix Ray, I may try that. Lava = pumice I think?

Regarding John Innes composts, JI 1-3 should all be the same soil mix apart from the amount of fertiliser added, so if you fertilise the plants yourself it will not make much difference which number you use.

There is no such thing as "peat free JI compost", so don't get sold that since peat is an essential part of the JI formula. Also JI Ericaceous compost essentially contains peat and not the poorly rotted garden waste I once saw substituted for it.

If you want to use peat free composts that is OK, but anything without peat is not to the original JI formula and ought to be called something else, rather than misleadingly trading under the JI name to mislead people it is the same as the original.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Times change, Dave.

Many people will not want to use peat as per the original "recipes" for ethical reasons. I think that's fine. Even the RHS encourages the use of peat or peat substitutes.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Agreed, but you don't call it sugar if it is actually saccharine, you use the proper name. They are trying to "piggy back" on the reputation of the original JI composts with imposters.

Nothing to stop them coming up with a new legitimate name for them without using JI in the title. One wonders if it is not in fact an infringement of the Trades Description Act, not being the original formula?