Aeonium cuttings help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Aeonium cuttings help

Post by Liz M »

All the Aeonium 'Velour' stems that have not produced growth are dry and dead. Anything that has any sort of growth is alive and would appreciate some water. You should test the tops of the Aeoniums, see if they are firm when you gently wiggle them, they would both appreciate some water by now. Once you are sure you have growth, you should have roots, so water when they are dry and keep watching. I have been doing a lot of Aeonium chopping over the past month and most seem to have roots, they are firm n their pots, and are now outside in moderate sun and are being watered.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Mervinius
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Mervinius »

Thought I'd update on my cuttings and ask for some advice.

So the tops are doing well and look healthy

The middle stem cuttings of the Velour are still doing nothing, but the Schwartkop are doing really well now.

The bottom Schwartkop is also doing well and amazingly the bottom Velour has just started sprouting leaves this week! (Nature does surprise me)

So questions

1 Do I need to do anything to the bottom or stem cuttings or should I leave them alone. I want to re pot the 2 stem cuttings, so they have a pot each. Not sure when to do this?

2 Some of my other Aeoniums including the Velour top cutting appear to be starting to branch on their own! Do I need to do anything or should I leave them to get on with it.

Here's a couple of pictures. Sorry they aren't great. Too hot out there so was a bit quick. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

At this time of year, I would leave them all alone and just water a little, especially the stem and bottom cuttings. The time to start doing anything with these is in autumn, when the days are cooler. Aeoniums, being winter growers, are starting to come to life in September and October, that is the time to give them a good water, when they should respond well. If you can keep them above freezing in winter, ie after November, water them just enough to keep them from dropping large amounts of leaves, they always drop a few. If you have to keep them unheated stop watering in October and start again in late March.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.