Aeonium cuttings help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mervinius
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aeonium cuttings help

Post by Mervinius »

Hello,

I'm new, so not sure this is the right section to post in.

I've got 4 Aeoniums and just treated myself to 3 more!

Of my originals 2 were getting top heavy and not branching, so after googling I decided to try propagating them.

They are Aeonium Velour and Aeonium Schwartzkof (sorry if the spelling is wrong)

So I cut each plant into 3 and left them to callous for 3 days. I then potted the cuttings into dry compost.

So there are
2 heads with a short stem
2 stem cuttings
2 stems with roots in their original pots.

Have I done the right thing? The stem cuttings are looking very shrivelled, but I didn't want to water them, because they have no roots.

Not sure If I just need to leave everything alone.

I've got them inside in a colder room in a window facing north. So they will get light but not too much heat.

Any help would be great.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Aeonium cuttings help

Post by Stuart »

Bit late now but cutting each plant in half and leaving some leaves on the lower half would have been better. From the photos, the tops should root easily, no harm in a bit of water, the middle bits will dry up and the lower rooted stems will struggle but might produce new growth if they don't dry up. At the worst, you'll be back where you started by mid-summer and can have another go.
Stuart
Mervinius
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: Aeonium cuttings help

Post by Mervinius »

Stuart wrote:Bit late now but cutting each plant in half and leaving some leaves on the lower half would have been better. From the photos, the tops should root easily, no harm in a bit of water, the middle bits will dry up and the lower rooted stems will struggle but might produce new growth if they don't dry up. At the worst, you'll be back where you started by mid-summer and can have another go.
Stuart
Hi Stuart

Thanks, yeah I realise it's a bit late now. Oops. I couldn't cut the in half because all the leaves were right at the top.

Does that mean the middle bits will just die? Is it worth leaving them?

Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY

Post by Patrick »

Mervinius,

Apart from the stem cuttings everything usually does well the way you've done it in my experience. You need to keep chopping Aenoniums.

Stuart what you do mean by cutting each plant in half? Which way?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

This seems to be duplicating a recent post but 'in half' just means cutting to take a fairly short top-cutting with plenty of leaves left on the remaining stem. Leafless stems will struggle to produce new growth.
Stuart
Mervinius
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: Aeonium cuttings help

Post by Mervinius »

Stuart wrote:This seems to be duplicating a recent post but 'in half' just means cutting to take a fairly short top-cutting with plenty of leaves left on the remaining stem. Leafless stems will struggle to produce new growth.
Stuart
Ahh I see not literally in half, but in two pieces. They were very lanky so I would have had to cut the extra stem bits off anyway.
I'll leave it all as it is for now and report back what survives.

Lesson learnt for next time.

ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Sorry I am late replying but the way I treat Aeoniums when they get too tall is

- cut them off just below the leaves, making sure the cut is in soft, not woody, stem
- dip the top in rooting hormone, and plant it straight away (!) into dry compost, wait a week before watering
- keep the remaining trunk as is

The top should root down at this time of year in a couple of weeks after watering it.
The bottom, if all goes well, will throw side branches near the top, which when big enough can also be cut off and rooted down in the same way.

The point of cutting in green, not woody tissue, is that it is easier for both roots and side branches to push through it, which they are much less able to do through woody tissue.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Mandy
Registered Guest
Branch: LEA VALLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mandy »

I agree with ralph i do it this way. they are pretty easy to get extra plants from before you no it youll be over run with them. good look.
Mervinius
Registered Guest

Post by Mervinius »

I've left them as they are and so far nothing has shriveled died yet.

How long will roots take to grow on the tops?

Not sure how long to leave it all.

Mervinius
Registered Guest

Post by Mervinius »

Update for my Aeonium cuttings. Some successes so far.

So my two tops of each plant seem happy enough, but I don't think they've grown any roots yet. Not sure how long this takes?

The schwartkopf middle stems are sprouting little tiny leaves. However the velour seems to have shriveled and are doing nothing.

The bottom of the velour is also doing absolutely nothing, but the schwartkopf is again growing tiny leaves!

They've all been cared for in the same way except the Velour has slightly rougher skin on the bark so I wonder if that has stopped the new sprouts coming through?

Do you think it's worth leaving the velour for longer? ImageImageImageImageImage