How are your seeds going?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: How are your seeds going?

Post by Herts Mike »

My Mesa Garden cactus seeds have come up like cress. Not dure what I’ll do with them all!

Silverhill Aloe seeds doing well but no show from Aloe madecassa which I have never managed to germinate having tried again and again.

Silverhill Stapeliad seeds have germinated in abundance. I wonder what will happen to Silverhill for the future?
Auceye
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Auceye »

First-time seed grower, sowed my BCSS seed bank seeds 4 weeks ago.

I have had at least one seed germinate from Lapidaria margaretae, Mammilaria dixanthocentron v rubrispinus , Copiapoa dealbata v. carrizalensis, Mediolobivia steinmannii v. christinae and Sulcorebutia aranacea HS30. The first two in that list were best with the majority of seeds having germinated.

Still waiting to get any seedlings for Gymnocalycium spegazzinii KBA 47A, Coryphantha vivipara v arizonica and Echinocreus petcinatus v castaneus.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Well, just over 100 sorts have come up so far, mostly Aylosteras and Lobivias. Then I had a real duh! moment - I realised the propagators were set to 0C instead of 20C, so were unheated! (The setting indicator was at the side, not the top...)

So now the heating is turned up, I'm hoping more will pop out.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

I had 90% germination rate on some Ariocarpus japanese cultivar seed's Tina gave me. Suddenly last week they all dried up and vanished into the potting mix..... Fatalities all around for me.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by daniel82 »

I was a bit late with sowing this year, think the rubbish weather had put me off somewhat. But most all my mesembs are up, nearly all from msg. Also about 1/2 my cacti, a mixture of astros, lobivias, mamms and a pterocactus. Hopefully more will catch up, it's been less than 2 weeks since sowing.
Auceye
Registered Guest

Post by Auceye »

Auceye wrote:First-time seed grower, sowed my BCSS seed bank seeds 4 weeks ago.

I have had at least one seed germinate from Lapidaria margaretae, Mammilaria dixanthocentron v rubrispinus , Copiapoa dealbata v. carrizalensis, Mediolobivia steinmannii v. christinae and Sulcorebutia aranacea HS30. The first two in that list were best with the majority of seeds having germinated.

Still waiting to get any seedlings for Gymnocalycium spegazzinii KBA 47A, Coryphantha vivipara v arizonica and Echinocreus petcinatus v castaneus.
A few Coryphantha vivipara v arizonica and Echinocreus petcinatus v castaneus have germinated in the last week, just the Gymno needed for a clean sweep. Now for the hard part - keeping them going!