Windowsill Gardening / Net curtains  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Auceye
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Windowsill Gardening / Net curtains  Solved

Post by Auceye »

Hi everyone, wishing you a fulfilling cactus growing season ahead! Just looking for advice for the coming summer - do you think my plants would be okay growing behind some net curtains in the summer months?

I have about 50 small cacti (Gymno, Mamm, Echinopsis, Rebutia, Copiapoa) on single-glazed windowsills facing southeast and south. To my horror, in the last few weeks the soil surface temperature has already exceeded 100 F (38 C) several times during periods of direct sunlight. Although nothing seems to have cooked yet, some of the Echinopsis and Rebutia buds have begun to desiccate. And this is before the middle of April!

Ventilation is very bad as I am not around in the daytime to open the sash windows. The net curtains can't be helping the situation, and living on a busy road they have to stay up!

So, how does the windowsill grower cope with this? Move the plants to the shady side of the nets on sunny days? It is still quite bright when the sun is out, but significantly cooler. Keep the plants in front of the nets and blast with a fan? Perhaps get a greenhouse / move house ? :wink:
BryanW
BCSS Member

Re: Windowsill Gardening / Net curtains

Post by BryanW »

I transfer my young plants to an upstairs SSE windows-sill, room side of the net curtains as far away from the glass as the sill will allow. I open a top window vent and the room door so a larger air flow is created. I also have the added bonus of half latched windows, which are closed securely but allow air flow.
I find the room upstairs will be warmer but the sunlight isn't as direct as it is downstairs due to the roof overhang shading the room.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

There's no problem in growing cacti & succulents at sunny windows with net curtains but the plants should be on the room side of the curtains. If, as in your case, they are between the nets and the window there will be no movement of air and they will cook. I'm not surprised the buds have begun to desiccate. Don't worry too much about the temperature of the soil at the surface. Temperature is correctly taken in the shade (these are the temps you customarily see on the news) and in full sunlight the temperature will be much hotter than the shade. However, in your case the combination of heat and trapped hot air could be lethal and I would bring your plants out from behind the nets pronto.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

My bedroom windowsill (where I grow my seedlings) is upstairs at the front of the house and has a small blind for privacy at the bottom of the window frame.

The roller blind comes down from the top near the glass and the privacy blind is fixed on a pole on the inside edge of the frame and is about 15 inches high. The plants enjoy the sunshine without the need for a net curtain for privacy.

People outside can't see in, and when the top blind is down at night to about a foot from the bottom the lower blind completes the job of blocking out the streetlights.

Something like that may work, even if it looks a little odd. I can take a picture if you need to see it.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

I have used a fan in similar situations, it helps.
Auceye
Registered Guest

Post by Auceye »

The plants have been re-positioned safely behind the nets, with more shade and ventilation. I think I've realized the danger just in time to avoid catastrophic damage - thank you all for the advice!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

:grin: Glad it's working out.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.