Succulent ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Succulent ID

Post by ChrisR »

Derek quoting Tolken never helps me much as Tolken uses words (e.g.bracts on the dichasia) that I rarely understand and pee's me off to have to look up every time!

So in the hope of simplifying things for those of us (in my case, much) less academic, I have a couple of habitat photos kindly sent me by Jean-Andre' Audissou of a large Crassula in habitat at Sapkamma, the type locality of Crassula arborescens subsp undulatifloia.

Problem is that Tolken says subsp. undulatifolia grows only in few kloofs a few kilometers away from ovata. So what do people think? Did Jean-Andre' find subsp. undulatifolia or are these a form of ovata? Or do we need flowers to be sure?

They certainly look like the photos in the previously quoted Bradleya article, and the leaves on the cutting I have are quite small (ca.1.5cm as Tolken states,so not much larger than ovata) - much smaller than the large arborescens leaves on plants we have in cultivation.

P1030046.JPG
P1030047.JPG

Here's C.arboresens at Poortjieskloof Dam looking stressed with drought in May 2017
DSCN1429.JPG
DSCN1431.JPG
DSCN1447.JPG
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

So just before they go back into the greenhouse for winter here are both plants.

crassula1.jpg
crassula2.jpg
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Are admin able to rotate the photos?

Reply:
Yes - just this once, Mike.
Next time the charge will be one choice small opuntia!
Tony R
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Mike P wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 pm Are admin able to rotate the photos?
The admins have enough to do - if your post doesn't show in correct aspect and you have tried every way, the answer is not to call for admin intervention but for a review of why this is a constant problem.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Deleted comment as no longer relevant.
Last edited by ChrisR on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

ragamala wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:51 pm
Mike P wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 pm Are admin able to rotate the photos?
The admins have enough to do - if your post doesn't show in correct aspect and you have tried every way, the answer is not to call for admin intervention but for a review of why this is a constant problem.
Not your call.
This has already been discussed at length.
Ideally, users should manipulate their photos taken with iPhone/iPad in other imaging software prior to loading the picture onto the Forum.
We cannot solve the issue that Apple and Microsoft choose to adopt different standards.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Tony R wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm Not your call.
Agreed. But this is a constant irritation to all of us. But if you want to step up to the plate, do something positive to resolve the issue. This does not occur on all other forums, or indeed any other forum of which I am a member. It is not enough just to step aside and blame technology.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Don't think it's totally Microsoft or Apple problem. Some of the blame has to be taken by the way in which the recording devices ... phone or camera .... write their EXIF files. I have tried posting from different devices .... with frustration because they behave differently. Not even a rotate command in Explorer can be relied upon.
Best to use an image editing app to do the rotate whilst you clean up the image.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

ragamala wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:16 pm But if you want to step up to the plate, do something positive to resolve the issue.
No, several of us have wasted enough time on this.
As I've said, user-intervention using image editing software and checking prior to pressing the Submit button resolves this issue.
(But perhaps, one day, the BCSS will actually release a new website and forum. But when one day is, I really don't know.)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

So as I said. Admins have enough to do.If they aren't prepared to push the issue then why blame the admins. Who are you blaming then Tony? Not good enough to say just BCSS. But don't criticise me for supporting the admins.