Colours of spring

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Colours of spring

Post by iann »

Lithops are making new leaves. Lots of interesting colours show up, sometimes really intense, sometimes not fully-developed.

L. coleorum, new leaves a subdued purple, old leaves much redder.
coleorum-0409.jpg
L. werneri, old leaves are pretty bedraggled.
werneri-0409.jpg
L. lesliei Warrenton Form, leaves will get redder if we get some sun.
warrenton-0408.jpg
L. karasmontana, new leaves not as red as they will become.
karasmontana-0409.jpg
L. marmorata var eliseae, new leaves still showing marmorata pink, but will soon be bleached white.
eliseae-0408.jpg
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Colours of spring

Post by rodsmith »

This is a fascinating time of year for lithops lovers. Mine still have quite a way to go before the new leaves are fully showing, some aren't even showing any so far. I think this is because of the long cold winter with very little sun. We haven't had a lengthy sunny spell here all winter and in the last two weeks there have been just three sunny days; now it's back to rain again.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

My favorite time for lithops, the colors are at their most vivid and the plants are compact and delicately patterned.

L. aucampiae ssp euniceae starts again with less bleached colors:
L. aucampiae ssp. euniceae C048
L. aucampiae ssp. euniceae C048
IMG_0897.JPG (130.39 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
L. schwantesii v. urikosensis:
L. schwantesii v. urikosensis C074
L. schwantesii v. urikosensis C074
IMG_0892.JPG (136.06 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
More purple and less pink:
L. karasmontana 'Purper'
L. karasmontana 'Purper'
IMG_0896.JPG (156.02 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Fuscous L. julii
L. julii SB2157
L. julii SB2157
IMG_0893.JPG (129.72 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
L. gracilidelineata C309, almost Cafe au Lait
L. gracilidelineata C309
L. gracilidelineata C309
IMG_0906.JPG (152.21 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Even the more 'mundane' species like L. hallii can be quite striking
L. hallii C094
L. hallii C094
IMG_0903.JPG (150.19 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
L. bromfieldii v glaudinae with glimmering dusky dots
L. bromfieldii v. glaudinae C393
L. bromfieldii v. glaudinae C393
IMG_0900.JPG (136.92 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
L. lesliei v. venteri in black and white
L. lesliei v. venteri "maraisii" C153
L. lesliei v. venteri "maraisii" C153
IMG_0894.JPG (160.89 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
And some fresh colors on some very new seedling leaves
L. fulviceps seedling C220
L. fulviceps seedling C220
IMG_0890.JPG (119.22 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Definitely a good time to be looking at Lithops leaves.
Cheshire, UK
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

A number of mine have etiolated. I can't find a cool enough winter place for them. I have a lot to learn. :???:

Hey Astro, can you tell me what those bean like things are in your soil? I've seen them a number of times.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Ivan wrote:Hey Astro, can you tell me what those bean like things are in your soil? I've seen them a number of times.
You mean the pine needles? Those are courtesy of the tree that provides some afternoon shade to my outdoor collection. I try to remove the worst excesses when taking a picture, but I don't usually get all of them. Lithops are quite forgiving of small needles and other debris (small leaves, tiny dried flowers (akin to elder blossom flowers), pollen cones and pollen) raining down on them. Cacti with a dense spine cover I give an occasional once-over with the help of a pair of tweezers.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Ivan wrote:A number of mine have etiolated. I can't find a cool enough winter place for them. I have a lot to learn. :???:

Hey Astro, can you tell me what those bean like things are in your soil? I've seen them a number of times.
Etiolated Lithops might not be down to warm winter nights, since the old leaves shouldn't be growing at that time and they shouldn't be getting water to let them expand. Look a little earlier to whether they were etiolating in autumn or just getting more water than they really needed.

Also, Lithops are entirely happy to freezing and often a long way below (dry!), although perhaps not down to the temperatures you get in winter.
Cheshire, UK
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Astro wrote:You mean the pine needles? Those are courtesy of the tree that provides some afternoon shade to my outdoor collection...
Thank-you! It does clear it up for me. :smile: On the positive side, it does provide them with acidic soil or at least with an acidic atmosphere.
iann wrote:Etiolated Lithops might not be down to warm winter nights, since the old leaves shouldn't be growing at that time and they shouldn't be getting water to let them expand. Look a little earlier to whether they were etiolating in autumn or just getting more water than they really needed.

Also, Lithops are entirely happy to freezing and often a long way below (dry!), although perhaps not down to the temperatures you get in winter.
It's more a warm dry growing climate I have upstairs where I store them for winter. I haven't given them water for months. It is also quite bright with perhaps a few (maybe 2-3) hours of sunshine in late afternoon. I have a weekly pictorial record for the last couple of years but I haven't been able to extract/react to what I see in them. Not enough knowledge/experience I guess :???:
For the last couple years our temperature has been erratic, not normal or typical to what I am used to. I tried a bit of experiment just to see if supplement heat in the greenhouse would work. Turns out it's too expensive for now. That may change :wink:
We have had -15 to -20 temperature this year, just to add. On the positive side, I have had a good flowering of Mammillarias.