Philip Barker RIP - BEF Pots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Philip Barker RIP - BEF Pots

Post by Bill »

Just heard the from Philip's great niece that Philip has passed away. More details to follow

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Philip Barker RIP - BEF Pots

Post by rodsmith »

That is sad news. I never met Philip but have been aware of his reputation within the society because of the BEF pots connection. I believe he had been unwell for some time.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

One of the unacknowledged heroes of the cactus and 'other succulent' hobby.

If the news is true I shall take it badly. A decade or so ago I was fortunate to be able to be of assistance to Philip when his business was in peril. The manufacturer of BEF pots had stopped production and albeit Philip had endeavoured to replace them he had failed - leading him to consider giving up.

I introduced him to my neighbour who had a plastics factory and whilst the quantities purchased by Philip were small to say the least, my neighbour was prepared to use the production dies that Philip had and also to manufacture new dies to enable certain pot sizes to be made. It is a fact that the very latest BEF pots are some of the best ever quality.

We should be grateful to Philip for his stamina in flogging around the country, to shows, meetings, et al, so that we could have access to these pots. I am sure that after his costs, there would be little for him to show for his efforts.

During my close involvement with Philip in this matter I found him to be a humble, decent man who suffered from enduring illness but was determined that it would not beat him. A great loss.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Very sorry to hear this sad news thoughts with his family
Will B.E.F pots continue ? Philip bought it when it was going last time but I don't know if there is anyone able to continue it for the family
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sylvia »

I met Philip on several occasions when he sold pots at the Zone 9 Conventions. Always remembered me and we had some interesting conversations. A very nice man. RIP Philip
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Very sad to hear the news of Philip's passing. I met him a number of times at shows and conventions, and he was always helpful and extremely flexible in enabling me to have the BEF pots I wanted. he was a true gent, and will be missed.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Philip had been in poor health lately, it is sad to think we won't see him again at shows. I have bought many useful things from him, as well as pots, he will be sadly missed.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

How very sad to hear that Philip has left us. I bought many from from over the years. Thinking of his family.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Peter B
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Peter B »

All that can currently be said is that it is in the hands of solicitors
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents