dioscorea elephantipes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
StephOx
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

dioscorea elephantipes

Post by StephOx »

Hi I have 2 seedlings, one of which is in a smaller pot, I took the pot out the holder this morning and realised the roots are like this
IMG_4211.JPG
So do I repot this? It’s only a few months old, started to die back ( perhaps going dormant?)
Thanks
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: dioscorea elephantipes

Post by ralphrmartin »

Yep. The bigger the pot you give, potentially the faster it will grow...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi my elephants feet seedlings keep 're surfacing above the soil- it's like they don't want to be covered. I have left them like that in the absence of any further knowledge. The pod itself is now splitting. They have had leaves on them since last summer! I've kept them at a minimum of 6-7 degrees over winter. Is this all normal behaviour? Thanks
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi,
Didn't know about bigger pot giving faster growth! I also have a few of these. In one pot I have three. Should these be potted up individually? Advice please.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Hi
Yes, that’s all normal behaviour. I’ve had one for 14 years and it is perhaps my favourite plant. To get the caudex expanding quickly they need plenty of root room, a nutritious soil mix and plenty of feed and water in while in growth.

• They go dormant in hot weather whenever temperatures get into the higher twenties Celsius and all the top growth dies. They start growing again with new shoots emerging from the caudex as soon as it’s cooler and they keep going through the winter until it gets hot again the following year. But each plant will react differently so it’s best to have only one per pot so you can water each plant when it needs it. They are very quirky and individual - so it’s fun to have more than one as they are so full of character.

• Minimum winter temperature of 6-7 degrees is fine – they are ok down to 4 degrees but warmer is good too.

• So reduce watering as the leaves on your plants wither. While they are dormant, move each plant into its own two litre size pot (tall pots are good as they take up less space). Then, for the first few years, pot them on every year or so into a bigger pot that’s about double the volume of the previous pot so that the roots always have plenty of room – until it’s as big as you can manage. Looking ahead to when they are big, it’s good to put the pot on a plant saucer on wheels.

• They grow fastest in a nutritious soil mix - I use two parts John Innes 3, one part (by volume) of perlite to increase the airiness of the mix (and to reduce overall weight - helpful when they get large).

• I feed with full strength High Nitrogen feed (I use Chempak 2) at every other watering when in leaf. If you grow more than one you could try giving some plants full strength feed at every watering to see if they grow more quickly. Water again just before the soil dries out, but never leave them standing in water. When they are dormant give a little plain water whenever necessary to stop the roots getting totally dry so that they remain alive and ready for a quick getaway the following season.

• Once they develop a fissured caudex never water from overhead – always keep the place where the stems emerge from the caudex dry to avoid the risk of it rotting in dull/cool weather. Watering around the base of caudex is fine.

• Don’t be tempted (because it slows growth down) to expose the caudex until it emerges from the soil surface by itself.

• The leaves need direct sunlight (shaded leaves will die off) but the caudex prefers shade which will also preserve its warm brown colours.

• When the stems die back each year, trim off any wispy parts. After a few years when they produce sturdy stems, don’t prune all of the stems back to the caudex after they die back. Leave the dried out stronger lower parts which will become a good framework which will support the next year’s new growth and also shade the caudex.

Happy growing!

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Thanks for the advice, Steven!
Very helpful.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Steven,
I'm beginning to regret getting involved in these! Fussy little things! Thanks for advice. I'm splitting my three into individual pots....bigger ones. We will see.
Thanks again
Jane
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Thanks Aiko and Jane

Don't be put off Jane, they are actually very tough survivors. If you don't want yours to grow quickly, then don't feed them, use a low nutrient soil mix and water sparingly. I know someone who has one that is almost 50 years old and its caudex is still only about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I get annoyed with the leaves falling all over the place, when the vine dries up
so I would ADD put them outside before the stem dries up so its easy to cut off the vine and save all the mess in the greenhouse.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Or put it in a big container that catches all the leaves, so you can keep it in your greenhouse.