Tesco,s finest

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Tesco,s finest

Post by Stuart »

I tried some of the Tesco stuff years ago whilst my daughters were much younger. They saw the bags in the porch and were all excited because they thought we were getting a cat!
Stuart
jhb
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jhb »

1 of my local Tesco, we have 3 close by, had a whole shelf of the cat litter today, so in a panic I bought 4. Might go back & get more just in case.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Still on sale at our local Tesco...
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

good day to everyone,

I have been producing containerized plants for 35 years and have never used kitty litter, and I guess I am curious why everyone loves it so much.

Our cat Piper rarely uses her box but when she does all the moisture is held onto very much like diaper hydrogel.

the material holds onto water rather than allowing the water to drain out quickly, like perlite or pumice would.

So am I right to guess that you all use kitty litter to hold onto water to allow some to move back into the media it dries out?

Or is it that you want the water held away from the base of the plants, which is why I tried some seeding into a thin layer of turface.

Before I try something, I like to know why.

Peter
Peter Shaw