Mystery hairy-leaved plant - a Tylecodon I think

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mystery hairy-leaved plant - a Tylecodon I think

Post by KathyM »

I bought this at the plant sale at the meeting on Monday night because it looked interesting, but the label has completely faded.

I did a bit of Googling and I think it is a Tylecodon. My best guess so far is Tylecodon leucothrix, but it's not a genus I know much about. Does anyone have any ideas?

ImageMystery plant! I think it might be Tylecodon leucothrix by Kathy, on Flickr

Apparently it has been in a loft since December! I think it is doing pretty well considering.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mystery hairy-leaved plant - a Tylecodon I think

Post by Aiko »

My first thought was also Tylecodon leucothrix.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Yes, I can't think what else this could be. But it is a strange tapering shape for Tylecodon leucothrix and narrow recurved leaves are untypical. It would be nice to see a photo of this in a year's time to see how it recovers.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Thanks for the confirmation. I had really hoped it was a Tylecodon, but didn't trust my ID skills at all! There aren't many pictures of Tylecodon leucothrix online, but from the ones I've seen it looks like an attractive plant. I'm really hoping this one will be able to bounce back.

When I spotted it on the sales table I thought the stem shape looked like that of some kind of caudiciform type plant and that's why I decided to buy it, but I didn't consider Tylecodon until I browsed my books and couldn't find anything else it could be. My best succulent book only shows Tylecodon without their leaves!

It has been in someone's loft wrapped in newspaper since December, I think. I would have expected a winter-growing plant to look worse, so I was surprised it was a Tylecodon. It's been watered now and it's in my greenhouse so maybe the leaves will grow a bit before dormancy.