We have got Asphodelaceae back  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

We have got Asphodelaceae back

Post by Terry S. »

Is it just me who is slow in keeping up with the news? I have just been checking up on the genus Bulbine following a request to write something on it for Plant of the Month and have found that it is back in the family Asphodelaceae as a result of a decision at a congress in 2017. For a while, Aloe, Haworthia, Bulbine, etc. were in the unpronounceable family Xanthorrhoeaceae after three plant families were combined; Xanthorrhoeaceae being the priority name (earliest published). Such priorities can be overruled by an International Botanical Congress "to avoid disadvantageous nomenclatural changes entailed by the strict application of the rules, and especially of the principle of priority". So sanity prevailed.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: We have got Asphodelaceae back

Post by cactuspip »

Not something you see happening too often, but welcome nevertheless.
One of the reasons I don't change my labels immediately there are recombinations or other such events.
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: We have got Asphodelaceae back  Solved

Post by Keith L »

What makes you think saying Asphodelaceae easily trips off the tongues of us other mere mortals Terry?!

Keith :grin:
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: We have got Asphodelaceae back

Post by Apicra »

Yes. APG IV is the consensus list of higher plant orders and I was pleased to find a detailed list on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APG_IV_system
Asphodelaceae is included under the Monocot orders. Can you find the Cactaceae with other wierdos like Pitcher Plants, Sundews & Mesembs?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble