Problem with aloe stalk?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Oleg
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Problem with aloe stalk?

Post by Oleg »

A few days ago I took a walk round the balcony and found something strange with my aloe delaetii plant:
IMG_9740.JPG
Is it a stalk or something else looking like a snake?!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Problem with aloe stalk?

Post by juster »

Hi Oleg, I have had something similar happen a few times. The flower stalk seems to get caught and double back, if I try to free the stalk it usually just breaks! Rather a nuisance.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

What a nuisance. If it were mine I would just put a nick/cut in the leaf base which surrounds the flower stem and leave it to sort itself out from there.

Are you sure that this is A.delaetii?

Suzanne
Oleg
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Oleg »

juster wrote:Hi Oleg, I have had something similar happen a few times. The flower stalk seems to get caught and double back, if I try to free the stalk it usually just breaks! Rather a nuisance.
Hi Juster, thanks for your experience sharing; I've tried to shuffle the "nuisance" today - it really felt to be pretty
breakable!
topsy wrote:Are you sure that this is A.delaetii?

Hi Suzanne, thanks for the tip - I'll try it tomorrow...
Yes, it's a. delaetii - I posted the plant's photo last year; there was a discussion which came to that definition conclusion in the end. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=166391