When to put Aeoniums back outside?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mervinius
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

When to put Aeoniums back outside?

Post by Mervinius »

Hello.

Im not sure when to put my aeoniums back outside the weather is so unpredictable at the moment.

The cuttings I took in March I'm guessing i should leave inside until they take properly? I think the stem cuttings of one has a teeny tiny sprout... very excited.

Should my others go outside now, but back inside for the evenings to harden off?.

I live in South sunny Dorset and it was really warm and sunny today, so it made me think it might be time for them?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Mervinius
Registered Guest

When to put Aeoniums outside?

Post by Mervinius »

Weirdly my post has disappeared. If this is a duplication then sorry. :-(

When can I put my Aeoniums back outside?

Also should I leave the cuttings at the end of March inside until they have definitely rooted? Or can they go outside too?

I live in sunny South Dorset, and it was much warmer today and made me think perhaps now is the time start hardening them off?

Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: When to put Aeoniums outside?

Post by Phil_SK »

Mervinius wrote:Weirdly my post has disappeared. If this is a duplication then sorry. :-(
Hi, they were both waiting for approval in the moderator queue. Normally, I'd delete one and approve the other but as you've worded them subtly differently I've kept them both and just merged the threads. :)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: When to put Aeoniums back outside?

Post by iann »

Put them out today :cool:

Then bring them back in at the weekend :evil:
Cheshire, UK
Mervinius
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: When to put Aeoniums outside?

Post by Mervinius »

Phil_SK wrote:
Mervinius wrote:Weirdly my post has disappeared. If this is a duplication then sorry. :-(
Hi, they were both waiting for approval in the moderator queue. Normally, I'd delete one and approve the other but as you've worded them subtly differently I've kept them both and just merged the threads. :)
Ah thanks I didn't realise that happened. Will know for next time.

Mervinius
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: When to put Aeoniums back outside?

Post by Mervinius »

iann wrote:Put them out today :cool:

Then bring them back in at the weekend :evil:
Is it going cold again?

MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Most, possibly all, Aeoniums will die or be damaged by frost, so the simple answer is after the last frost. Begs the question, how do you know which one is the last one? The best answer is historical for where in the country you live. In Sheffield, I wait till the end of May/early June, after checking the BBC weather forecast. You may well get away with something earlier in Dorset. If in doubt, wait.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Mervinius
Registered Guest

Post by Mervinius »

MikeT wrote:Most, possibly all, Aeoniums will die or be damaged by frost, so the simple answer is after the last frost. Begs the question, how do you know which one is the last one? The best answer is historical for where in the country you live. In Sheffield, I wait till the end of May/early June, after checking the BBC weather forecast. You may well get away with something earlier in Dorset. If in doubt, wait.
Hi.

Ive just googled and where I am it's end of March for last frost. :-)

What the lowest temp they can take is it 0 degrees or better to keep them above 10.

BryanW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BryanW »

I've always gone by the old tomato growers saying, if there's no frost in the first week of June then you can put your plants out.
I think that only applies if you're growing in the open air.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Mervinius
Registered Guest

Post by Mervinius »

BryanW wrote:I've always gone by the old tomato growers saying, if there's no frost in the first week of June then you can put your plants out.
I think that only applies if you're growing in the open air.
It's a very warm 22 degrees outside today, so I've brought them outside for their first bit of sun this year. I'll bring them in at night for a while though, because it's still under 10 degrees most nights.

I've repotted a few, but left the cuttings inside. I think they'd fry out here. :-(

Not sure what the large green one is. It was rescued from a pavement by my friend for me. I think it smells of lemons. OH thinks it smells of cat wee. LolImage