Taking Peperomia kimnachii cuttings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Taking Peperomia kimnachii cuttings

Post by KathyM »

I'd never heard of this plant before but I bought one in the plant sale on Monday. It's a really striking plant. It's another one that has been in someone's loft wrapped in newspaper since December though and it's looking a bit sad at the moment, and a few of the stems are snapped near the base, so I thought I'd take some cuttings.

I've taken cuttings of common succulent Peperomias like P. ferreyrae before and just stuck them in some gritty compost and they rooted easily; can I do the same with this? A lot of people suggest covering cuttings with a plastic bag to retain moisture for other trailing Peperomias so I'm not sure whether to do that with this one. There's a lot of different types of Peperomia!

There's very little information about P. kimnachii online but it is apparently closely related to the more common P. pereskiifolia so I'm not sure if I can treat it similarly.

The more houseplant-y Peperomias are often grown from leaf cuttings so I might try that too, seeing as I'll be removing a lot of leaves to take stem cuttings. I've seen people suggest rooting P. pereskiifolia leaves in water but that doesn't seem very practical with the short stalk.

If anyone knows anything about it and has any tips for taking cuttings or general care it would be appreciated. There's not much about it on the internet.

ImagePeperomia kimnachii by Kathy__, on Flickr
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Re: Taking Peperomia kimnachii cuttings

Post by AnTTun »

Never tried it, but by the looks of the plant, I'd probably cut two pieces, give them not too long time to dry (3 days max) then try to root one in dry sand and other one in a glass of water. And would place my bet on the second one. Good luck and keep us posted.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about rooting a stem cutting in water. I repotted the plant today and it has completely lost its roots, so I think I will be taking a lot more cuttings than I first thought.
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by johno »

hi i grow peperomia s and i take cuttings in may and put them in damp multipurpus compost and they always root within a week.
johno
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I have tried 2 in compost, 2 in perlite and 2 in water. I've planted all the leaves I've removed too so if leaf cuttings do work I'm going to have a lot of plants!