S, S, S - Part Two

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: S, S, S - Part Two

Post by Phil_SK »

No, the soil was fine, it was my cultivation conditions that were lousy. The new ones, in the same soil, are fine.
I'm not sure how I've missed Succseed's offering as I'm a regular customer. I've managed to germinate (I think just one) D. marnier-lapostollei v estevesii from Ralf Hillmann, who, my gut feeling says, is probably one of the more trustworthy careful pollinators... time will tell. I'd actually become interested in their potential after seeing lots of photos of named hybrids, and the seed I had (off ebay) was listed as open pollinated from named hybrids and the seller was open about when it had been harvested. I think that was part of the reason that I was hasty in sowing them - there were a mix of dates, with older seed being cheaper, and the oldest being 2014 harvested. It did all germinate (Aug 17) to some extent. Given my tendency to 'collect' (ie obsessively hunt down, list, research, etc.) things I like, it's probably best that I don't know what they are exactly, since that way they're just a bunch of plants that I like, and there's no chance of me thinking it might be a good idea to collect 'the set'. So, yes, some more seed to play with would be good. Are they self-fertile? I did try to find out but didn't get very far.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Some are self fertile (including the one I pictured) but most are not hence the multitude of hybrids and hybrids masquerading as species.
Mariner-lapostollei is very distinctive so you should be able to tell if it is true when it grows up. I found it rather more tender than the majority of the species.
If you want to develop a proper obsession try googling Dyckia Brazil, some mouthwatering pictures! The plant I pictured is one grown from seed Constantino gave me [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

When I enquired, he wanted 2USD per seed!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

That’s a bit steep [emoji15] mine were free and came as a Christmas giveaway from him to the members of the now defunct Dyckia forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

Thank you both, Ali Baba and Phil_SK, for very helpful posts, will test your advices / experiences with my 'burgundy girls'.

Btw, mentioned Constantino is really a great guy, very friendly, with some breath taking plants and appropriate seed. Buuutttttt... his price was (I think) 3 Euros per 1 seed last time I've checked, and I was pretty sure buying one seed won't be enough for me so I gave up. I got dyckia seed from soneome else later, but thats another story for another S,S,S post so stay tuned :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/