S, S, S - Part Two

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

S, S, S - Part Two

Post by AnTTun »

Just to remind you... Seed, Sellers, Sowing.. something like that :)

Another (probably) less known seed seller, his/her/their eBay name is crazy-for-bulbs and they had some arum seed that I thought I should try. I've ordered 3 seed packs of different arums and one seed pack of dyckia burgundy (not sure how that one got into their offer, but I didn't mind). Arum seed came in (ziplock, argh) packs of 10 and dyckia was supposed to be 20 seeds but I got about 120 of them. Nice plus indeed. I got about 100 dyckia seedlings, and triple 0 of arums. I've contacted seller asking if I've done something wrong, got no reply, then I've contacted them again, same result. So I'll never order from them again.

Two questions for fellow forum members:

1. Anyone grew arums from seed? If so, any hints, tips or tricks?
2. Anyone sown dyckias? Mine are just sitting after germination without any sign of growth after intial germination.

TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Terry S.

Re: S, S, S - Part Two

Post by Terry S. »

I have raised Arum seeds using the method that I have used for other alpine "bulbs". Sow in the autumn, cover the pots with a nice layer of grit and leave outside to catch all the winter weather: rain, freezing etc. They will usually germinate in the spring.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote:I have raised Arum seeds using the method that I have used for other alpine "bulbs". Sow in the autumn, cover the pots with a nice layer of grit and leave outside to catch all the winter weather: rain, freezing etc. They will usually germinate in the spring.
I used the same method for Arum italicum. Was not a success.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You are lucky Aiko. It is a weed that germinates all over the place if you leave the fruit on it to decompose.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Aroid seeds are often said to not stay viable for long, but I've not really tried growing many.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote:You are lucky Aiko. It is a weed that germinates all over the place if you leave the fruit on it to decompose.
I was hoping for that!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

AnTTun wrote:2. Anyone sown dyckias?
Yes, though only last August and again this February. The first lot were overwintered cool with only a bit of water so I wouldn't expect them to grow much. I'll take more note of how they get on from now on.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

I’ve grown plenty of Dyckias from seed . They will grow pretty quickly if you keep them warm and damp and feed them now and again. If you grow them like cacti they will suffer, they don’t like to get dry , even in the winter they will need a bit or the roots will die.
By the way they need lime free soil unlike Hechtias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, my decision to dry them out and cool them off was aimed at arresting their damping off-like decline: I should never have sown the seed in August. I was too excited to wait until the sensible time when I'd've been able to look after them properly. This year's sowing are looking well so far, though germination (same source as last year) isn't quite so good. I've moved all my C&S seedlings out to the gh now, so maybe the heat will raise the percentage. As an aside, I really struggled to find anyone selling seed and would appreciate any pointers in case I decide to have another go. :?:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi Phil, you can have some fresh seed of this one later this year.
dyckia.JPG
'Damping off like decline' sounds like you might not have used ericaceous compost or lime free grit? Seedlings respond readily to pricking out, you could try that in fresh compost. I keep mine in the propagator for their first winter, and transplant them regularly.

Dyckia seed comes up regularly on the CSSA seed depot, Succseed, and Mesa garden.
There are 2 issues with buying Dyckia seed,

firstly the viability (really fresh seed comes up like cress but viability declines rapidly over a few days, so old seed that hasnt been frozen is usually pretty poor)

secondly almost all Dyckia seed which is open pollinated is hybrid seed. I have had D. marnier-lapostollei come true from Mesa Garden, presumably they carefully excluded the plants. I have also had good seed from Succseed, which was I think fresh seed collected in habitat.

In addition most Dyckias in cultivation in Europe are themselves hybrids or wrongly named, so you have to do a lot of selection of seedlings as they develop, and they change considerably as they grow up! Not easy if you dont have a lot of space.