Aeonium with a pinched stem

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mervinius
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aeonium with a pinched stem

Post by Mervinius »

Sorry another aeonium question. I've had this plant a year and it was really small when I got it.

It's A. Firecracker.

I've just repotted it, but I'm a bit worried about the stem. It is pinched very near the bottom. None of my others have done this, and I'm worried it's going to snap as the plant gets taller?

What should I do? Image

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Aeonium with a pinched stem

Post by Liz M »

Aeoniums sometimes, for no reason I can work out, go narrow and dry up. The upper stem usually starts growing roots, if that happens cut the stem below the roots, it will probably be dry then pot up. If the plant seems happy don't bother, although you could cut it off and re-root it if it starts to become unstable.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Mervinius
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: RE: Re: Aeonium with a pinched stem

Post by Mervinius »

Liz M wrote:Aeoniums sometimes, for no reason I can work out, go narrow and dry up. The upper stem usually starts growing roots, if that happens cut the stem below the roots, it will probably be dry then pot up. If the plant seems happy don't bother, although you could cut it off and re-root it if it starts to become unstable.
Ok perfect thanks. I'll leave it for the summer and then if it does become really unstable I can give it the cut or might have grown roots.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk