Gasteria ID, please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Gasteria ID, please

Post by D^L »

HI,
I got this Gasteria from a local garden shop. It is vigourous and I like the white spotting and prominent keels on the leaves. I'd be grateful for help with identifying it. Is it obvious what its affinities are? Do I assume it is likely to be a hybrid?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
IMG_5562_sml2.jpg
IMG_5560_sml.jpg
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Gasteria ID, please

Post by RICHAUD »

batesiana ??
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

RICHAUD wrote:batesiana ??
Or possibly ellaphiae?
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Not batesiana, for it does not have the typical longiflorae flowers.
Flowers also look too gasteriform for pure ellaphieae.
So it probably has some parentage in the Section Gasteria rather than the Section Longiflorae.
I would favour a hybrid from Holland, this leads me on to .....

Ralph Northcott sometimes has for sale in the Cactus Shop a plant he calls Gasteria cv. Zonder Maam which bears a close resemblance to your plant.
I think the name of this cultivar that Ralph propagates is wrong - I think it should be spelt with an N not M and was actually Gasteria cv. Zonder Naam, a typical product from the Dutch nursery trade. For Zonder Naam in dutch means literally 'without name' or 'nameless'.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Given the source of this rather nice-looking Gasteria, what Tony R writes is most likely i. e. it is a hybrid involving G. ellaphieae. It is still immature really, but if you're lucky, a possible name for it might be G. barbae. This is still poorly known in cultivation but looks generally similar: http://pza.sanbi.org/gasteria-barbae

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Tony R wrote:Ralph Northcott sometimes has for sale in the Cactus Shop a plant he calls Gasteria cv. Zonder Maam which bears a close resemblance to your plant.
Gasteria cv. Zonder Maam or Gasteria cv. Zonder Naam?
The latter seems more obvious if the one writing the name tag has a sense of humour, knowing the meaning of Zonder Naam is "Without a Name"...
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Aiko wrote:Gasteria cv. Zonder Maam or Gasteria cv. Zonder Naam?
The latter seems more obvious if the one writing the name tag has a sense of humour, knowing the meaning of Zonder Naam is "Without a Name"...
Yes, as I said above :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Thanks to everyone for the help.
David