Hatiora or Rhipsalis?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hatiora or Rhipsalis?

Post by KathyM »

I bought this as Hatiora salicornioides at Harrogate Flower Show but it doesn't look like I'd expect it to look. I'm wondering if it's a Rhipsalis.

ImageI dont think it is a Hatiora salicornioides by Kathy, on Flickr

ImageI dont think it is a Hatiora salicornioides by Kathy, on Flickr
anders
Registered Guest

Re: Hatiora or Rhipsalis?

Post by anders »

Rhipsalis, something like R. cereuscula.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I agree with Anders. It is starting to show the long shoots that Rhipsalis have and Hatiora do not.
David Lambie
Bristol
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

I think it's Rhipsalis cassutha - Mistletoe cactus.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Thanks for the ID, I think it is a Rhipsalis cereuscula. I have done a Google search and small plants look pretty similar to it.

Is this one a Rhipsalis cereuscula too? It looks pretty different to the one I just bought, but then it's a bigger plant that I've had for years. This one was bought from a garden centre so it will be one of the common ones. It didn't come with a label but I'd always thought it was R. cereuscula.

ImageRhipsalis cereuscula, I think by Kathy, on Flickr

ImageRhipsalis cereuscula, I think by Kathy, on Flickr
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

The plant you show in the first picture with the £5 label is Hatiora salicornioides
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Are the stems not too long?
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike »

Not wishing to confuse things, but apparently there are two forms of Hatiora salicornioides, one with shorter nodes than the other. And according to some people, they're all Rhipsalis anyway!
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

Mike wrote:apparently there are two forms of Hatiora salicornioides, one with shorter nodes than the other
But still relatively uniform in length, I guess?

I guessed at R. cereuscula because it grows long stems that ends in clusters of much shorter, slightly thicker stems, and your plant seems to by trying to do that even if the "long" stems are a bit short still (it is a young plant). I have not (yet) seen a plant labelled cassutha with that growth pattern, and its stems are thinner. It is not H. salicornioides, which has short, bottle-shaped, mostly spineless stems.
The second plant: could be cereuscula as far as I can tell, but both plants are still small and Rhipsalis are hard to identify.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I have seen plants listed as Hatiora bambusoides, which seems to be a form of H. salicornioides, and seems to have different shaped stems, but still doesn't look like the one I just bought. I think it seems most likely it is a mislabelled Rhipsalis cereuscula.

There seems to be quite a small number of Rhipsalis species or subspecies/forms grown commercially on a large scale so that narrows down the options. That's how I figured my plant in the hanging pot I posted was probably R. cereuscula because it looked most like it out of the ones likely to turn up in a garden centre.