Echeveria with split leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
afterglow
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Echeveria with split leaves

Post by afterglow »

My echeveria 'afterglow' was outside last week. It gradually closed up. As Sunday was cold and windy I brought it back in. As it opened up many of the leaves have split. Is this the death throes of this lovely plant I wonder? Has this happened to your plants? Sue
Attachments
A211BF80-98AC-48F0-B8E6-68709466C450.jpeg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Echeveria with split leaves

Post by rodsmith »

The cuts in the leaves all appear to be roughly the same distance down the leaf, so it is possible that an insect attacked the leaves as they were growing but not showing above the crown of the plant. I would treat the plant as you normally would and with a bit of luck the problem won't recur. The cut leaves will be superseded by new leaves which, hopefully, will be intact.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
afterglow
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Re: Echeveria with split leaves

Post by afterglow »

Thanks for your an interesting idea. I notice that as it opens further more splits appear and one or two weeping as though they have torn under tension. Sue
Attachments
47EB4BE8-8A62-484A-A8D2-E3335926F1B5.jpeg