6 sided Crassula 'Buddha's Temple' plant

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

6 sided Crassula 'Buddha's Temple' plant

Post by KathyM »

I spotted this 6-sided Crassula 'Buddha's Temple' on a tray of regular 4-sided ones at the weekend and was intrigued by it so just had to buy it to see how it would grow. Does anyone know what would cause it to grow like this and if offsets are likely to be 6 sided too?

I've looked online and other ones I've seen are all small plants of a similar size to mine.

ImageMutant 6 sided Crassula Buddhas Temple by Kathy, on Flickr
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: 6 sided Crassula 'Buddha's Temple' plant

Post by Diane »

I have a Crassula pyramidalis, (which is one of the parents of this hybrid) which produced a six-sided stem, but subsequent branches are the normal four sides, so this is probably just an anomaly in growth, which does sometimes happen. If yours branches, they will probably just revert to normal four sides.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

it would be interesting to see if the rejects of this plant will also have 6 ribs

wait and see
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I had wondered if it would just revert to being 4-sided when it got offsets, but I couldn't resist buying it so that I can find out.
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by tonyironscacti »

Glad you noticed this one in the sales tray.

When I got home from the North West Mart I look at my other plants and noticed I have another one of these 6 sided plants on the sales bench !

Did you want a brother for your existing one ?

Cheers

Tony.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

How does anyone get this to stand up straight? I have one growing for three years now and it is around 7 cm tall and has something like 10-12 offsets all around it but is now starting to lean over....
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

That's what they do...
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

tonyironscacti wrote:Glad you noticed this one in the sales tray.

When I got home from the North West Mart I look at my other plants and noticed I have another one of these 6 sided plants on the sales bench !

Did you want a brother for your existing one ?

Cheers

Tony.
That's really interesting, I wonder if they are not massively unusual but people just miss them? I will probably check every time I see a tray now. I've only found a few mentions of 6-sided ones online, but then it's a tricky thing to search for. They do seem to attract a lot of attention when someone posts a picture of one though.

One family member absolutely loved my plant but I wasn't sure if she wanted one too or if she just wanted to Instagram mine!