Are these buds?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ava
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Are these buds?

Post by Ava »

I just spotted these on a 5 year old Opunia basiliris seedling - are they developing buds? These were unfortunately the best photos I could get.

Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Are these buds?

Post by Liz M »

At this stage, it is difficult to know the difference between buds and new shoots. You will have to wait a while before you can be sure.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

I’d be surprised if they are buds- I get the impression that you plants are quite small ?
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Liz M - ah okay, they are admittedly very small.
esp - yes, they are small, although this Opuntia grew a lot faster than my other seedlings and remains one of the largest (second to the Oreocereus trollii). I did try to look into it and got the impression it's too young/small. However, the centre of one is definitely bright pink.

I really need to justify waking the house up with my squealing this morning... :lol:
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Definitely not buds. Buds are easily differentiated from young shoots as the former are circular in cross section and have a distinct crown of glochids like a pixie hat. I will post a couple of pictures of my plant in a bit.
I think your plant will have to be considerably older and larger before it flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

A flower bud
IMG_1381.JPG
A new pad
IMG_1380.JPG
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Ah, how disappointing :/ Oh well, new pads are good too. I suppose it'll need support as it has two growing on the same side and will topple over.

Looks like yours is outside - do you keep it out there all year?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

O. basilaris ssp. basilaris grows new pads from the base rather than the apex of the pads, so you end up with a rather wide sprawling plants, (unless you grow the ssp brachyclados in which case it grows upwards and sprawls out too), so what you are seeing is the natural growth form.
Mine is in a huge pot in the greenhouse all year. It flowers most years but sometimes I get more flowers, sometimes fewer.