De -grafting

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

De -grafting

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, has anyone had success in de grafting a Loph williamsii from a Perekiopsis, and if so did it survive on its own roots for long. Cheers
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: De -grafting

Post by Diane »

Not with a Loph Eric, but I had a couple of Eriosyce tenebrica that I'd grafted on peres, that we're getting large, so last year I just cut them leaving a short section of peres and re-rooted them. They seem to growing away quite well, so maybe an option for you instead of trying to cut the Loph off.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Hi Eric,

As Diane says some leave three quarters to an inch of the Pereskiopsis attached to the scion and bury that, since it roots quite easily. However after a time the scion usually puts out it's own roots and being underground, therefore not photosynthesising, the Pereskiopsis stub usually withers away and the scions own roots grow through it. You will often find those Melocacti in garden centres from the Continent were originally grafted and have had about an inch of the stock left on which now buried has gradually withered away.

Some however dig out the remains of the stock and leave the scion to dry before rooting.

See:-

https://mycotopia.net/topic/48522-degra ... eskiopsis/

See the posts by Hanazono here:-

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 4&start=15

For those interested in grafting this is an excellent little downloadable PDF book by Teo on it.

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rho ... opic=869.0
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Eric
I completely agree with Diane and Dave either cut down the stock, or if it is only a short stock just bury it and sit the Lophophora onto the surface of the soil.
It will take a while, may be up to two years for the stock to wither away and the loph. to root down through it, during which the top plant may well shrivel badly.
I did this with a Lophophora alberto-vojtechii I had bought grafted from Elk, and the top plant shriveled so bad it lost its growing point and in the end sent up a pup from the base which has now grown into a nice small plant.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I have done it a number of times and it presents no problem. You can either cut as much of the stock as possible (may be difficult, as these grafts tend to have Pereskiopsis buried deep inside the scion) or twist and tear the scion away. It will throw roots not from the centre but from the adjacent tissue, as you can see in the sequence below. I rooted this scion in pumice, by the way.
Lophophora_williamsii_E13-002_20170624b.jpg
I've tried the same with L. alberto-vojtechii and although it worked it took a very long time for the plants to root, as Ray says. It also helps if you do it while the stock is healthy and the scion is nice and plump, instead of doing it to save the top of a dying graft (Pereskiopsis tends to shrivel and die after a while).
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi jafabio, that's my problem, the Peres stock seems to be dying (4 year old) and I am trying to save the Loph. Thanks
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Is it kind of wrinkled longitudinally near the top? If so, it's gone and you should act fast. Right now the scion is living off of its reserves and every day that goes by it's growing weaker.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener