PlanetoHuerto

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
chris25
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: PlanetoHuerto

Post by chris25 »

Firstly, apologies for the incorrect address in the first place, it should of course be planetahuerto. I hope this didn't add another layer of complication to my original query.

Anyway, the sequence of links shown by ragamala is now showing on my browser, too, so there seems little chance of ordering from one of the overseas sites, or from the UK site.

In which case, can anyone recommend an alternative source of suitable pumice?!

Chris
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

Bob porter but you need to pickup from Surrey
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

FaeLLe wrote:Remember you always have protection from your bank against fraud so internet shopping does not have to be so scary anymore.
Only if it wasn't your fault and you took sensible precautions. Don't be surprised if a bank quite legitimately refuses to refund your money if you got a malware warning sign and clicked past it and entered your card details anyway. Bank protections don't give free reign to be reckless in terms of security and it's dangerous to suggest there's zero fraud risk as if you can be reckless with your sensitive payment data and be free from the repercussions of that.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

There is a distinction here between warnings about SSL registration - and clearly in this particular instance the Spanish site and eg French site DO have valid SSL certificates. Try going directly to one of those and you will get no warning. The warning - and it is a SSL standard warning, not a warning of malware - is specifically about planetahuerto.co.uk or .com.

There is also a difference between credit cards and bank debit cards, in that debit cards do not have the same protection. You can find your own bank or credit card company's detail on this, but basically with a credit card the onus is more on the supplier to make a case for avoiding refund, whereas with the debit card the onus is on the cardholder. Credit cards, unlike debit cards, are also subject by law to the Section 75 protection of the Consumer Credit Act.

With a debit card you can achieve greater security by using it through Paypal. This gives you Paypal protection which is far stronger than using the debit card on its own. (From a supplier's business point of view no supplier wants to antagonise the likes of Amazon, ebay or Paypal). And a supplier does not receive (I assume!) your debit/credit card details at all when you pay with Paypal.

In general, I have found little or no problem in using credit card or Paypal for internet purchases, including many foreign transactions. Where problems have arisen there has been no dispute, and my applications for refund have been met promptly and in full.

In the case under discussion, planetahuerto offers credit card or paypal payments (as well as the far less attractive direct bank transfer option), which looks pretty safe to me. Although that's academic if they don't ship to UK.

Whilst you might argue I have been fortunate, I think it would be scaremongering to suggest that internet buying is high or even medium risk these days.
BryanW
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BryanW »

chris25 wrote: In which case, can anyone recommend an alternative source of suitable pumice?!

Chris
I had to resort to Bonsai pumice Chris, I couldn't collect from Surrey and eventually purchased from a seller on ebay named 'tannashad' - they were the only ones selling 16ltr bags with delivery by UPS included in the price. When my Son riddled it using grading screens I ended up with 3 sizes of grain, I ended up with around 11Ltr 3-4mm which i used for the potting mix, 5.5Ltr larger grain (5-6mm for top dressing) and around 0.5ltr of 2-3mm grain. It did have minor dust content and had to be riddled in the open air.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

I emailed them earlier to ask what the situation is for purchasing pumice and shipping it to the U.K, and whether their website will be up again any time soon. I haven't had a reply yet but I will let you know if I get any more info.
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

Just to update, I had a reply today saying they have closed their U.K shop so we can no longer order from the U.K. Which is a shame as the pumice was nice and a reasonable price. Now to find an alternative.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

BREXIT cometh early :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
chris25
BCSS Member

Post by chris25 »

Tony R wrote:BREXIT cometh early :wink:
Exactly what I was thinking. And I didn't vote for it, either!
chris25
BCSS Member

Post by chris25 »

mary44 wrote:Just to update, I had a reply today saying they have closed their U.K shop so we can no longer order from the U.K. Which is a shame as the pumice was nice and a reasonable price. Now to find an alternative.
Thanks for letting me know, Mary. Back to the drawing board.