Pyyrhocactus umadeave seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fatich
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Pyyrhocactus umadeave seedlings

Post by fatich »

Some seeds germinated without doing anything special. But germination rate is low, i will scarify them.
Attachments
Pyyrhocactus umadeave
Pyyrhocactus umadeave
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Pyyrhocactus umadeave seedlings

Post by ralphrmartin »

Well done. I have sowed it many times and always had zero germination.

I have been lucky enough to see it in habitat, and mature plants are wonderful balls with white spines..
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Pjt124
Registered Guest
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Pjt124 »

Quite remarkable and lucky! I have tried for three years to get the seeds to germinate to no avail.
Have tried some glycol if acid[well it sounds like that!] still nothing.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Roger Ferryman sowed hundreds of seeds he had collected in habitat of P. umadeave in the UK over the years and whatever he did he told me he got poor germination. However he was posted to South Africa for a couple of years and the same seed set there came up freely. Obviously something to do with climate, but we have never been able to work out what the difference was.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

FWIW I had germination in 2017 from seed bought from Koehres (portion of 10). By winter I had two seedlings remaining. How many originally germinated in total I don't know. But I lost them by the start of this spring.....
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

I have still some seeds to sow, i will not graft them so anyone has an idea how to treat the seedlings?
Let them grow in the bag or take them out of the bag?
dalesmatt
BCSS Member

Post by dalesmatt »

Pictures I have seen look nice. Its on my wanted list but I suspect will not be easy to find then?

Presumably it is more likely to be found grafted in the Uk / EU ..?

thanks
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Good going. Should be plain sailing (relatively!) from now on.

I've sown these a number of times and on a couple of occasions got good germination, where good means approaching half the seed germinating. Subjectively, it seems like cool/cold nights and warm (not sure if that's very warm or not very warm at all, but definitely not very hot) days are the solution but I've not been able to reproduce it reliably and usually think I'm doing well to get any sprouts at all.

I don't know if it is usually found grafted, since it doesn't usually germinate in the first place. Seedlings that do germinate are a decent size and grow reasonably well, if not exactly fast. I think they need fairly strong sun, but good ventilation, to do well. I've had some scorch and it sets them back years. Possibly also cool nights, I find they grow strongly at this time of year.
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

As Ralph says nice plants in habitat, but it must be 30 or more years since I saw one much larger than tennis ball size in the UK and have not even seen them as large as tennis balls for many years, grafted or not. (New Cactus Lexicon gives body up to 40 x 10-25cm). Possibly somebody has one?

RMF picture.
unadeave El Moreno.jpg
Some of the true Pyrrhocacti don't like transplanting and are often lost when seedlings are pricked out. Obviously nobody transplants or pricks them out in habitat, they grow where they were sown, so maybe a good idea not to prick them out any earlier than you need to.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Not much need for pricking out when you're lucky to get one seedling in a pot :)

This is my largest one, not quite as big as a tennis ball. Slightly marked from mites a couple of years back. Ironically, another plant that got away almost scot free from the mites then got scorched and is still not a pretty sight.
umadeave-0514.jpg
Cheshire, UK