Yucatan, Mexico

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IanW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Yucatan, Mexico

Post by IanW »

Any cactus species here or in Cozumel? Visiting for 2 weeks in August, and whilst so far I've done a reasonably good job of happening upon reef diving destinations that also happen to have some great cactus habitat or nurseries/gardens hence mixing two of my favourite things in nature such as in St Lucia, Bonaire, and Lanzarote, I've not seen much about cactus species in the Yucatan peninsula or Cozumel island, so does anyone know if there is much if anything there by way of Cacti?
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Yucatan, Mexico

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Mammillaria gaumeri is quiet common but it is mainly ceroids, Selenicereus donkelari, Stenocereus,Acanthocereus, Pachycereus, Harrisia etc. and a few Opuntias.
But if you are staying in the Playa del Carmen area most cacti on the Yucatan are on the other side more towards Merida.
Have a nice trip
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Yucatan, Mexico

Post by IanW »

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply. You say mainly cereoids like they're disappointing, they're always my favourites :grin:

Yeah we're on Cozumel island for the first week, then Playa Del Carmen the second week. I'll keep an eye out but not expect too much then.