Oddity

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Oddity

Post by Brian »

I love the offsets on this plant, which is itself an offset of an ancient cactus inherited with a previous house twenty years ago. Echinopsis oxygona I think. That is what I call it; I like all plants to be named if possible.

Afraid to even attempt to repot. Presumably the yellow offsets must never be detached from the parent? It would be interesting to see other such oddities. No I am not referring to the yellow flowering ones in yellow pots.
Attachments
77F8AD2D-871B-4501-A89E-55EA46A7DEE1.jpeg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Oddity

Post by rodsmith »

I would have no hesitation in removing the offsets. Their pale colour could be due to lack of nutrients from the parent plant which is possibly struggling a bit. You can leave the offsets on or take them off but I would either repot into fresh compost or put the plant on a modest fertiliser regime.

The plants on either side of the cat look very healthy :wink: .
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Strange they look like chlorophyll deficient sports? If so they would not be able to grow on their own roots and need the chlorophyll of the mother plant to survive. The puzzling part is you would not expect to get three heads chlorophyll deficient unless they are all coming from a single original offset or a chlorophyll deficient area on the plant such as a variegated part, but that is not obvious in the photograph.

You would need to unpot the plant and investigate further to see if they are attached or self sown seedlings, but if chlorophyll deficient I would not have expected seedlings to have survived that long. The chlorophyll deficient Red Lollypop Gymno was grafted when only as big as a match head or it would not have survived.

If they are attached to the plant you could remove one offset and see if it roots and produces normal chlorophyll or dies.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

HI,

I am afraid that I disagree with Rod, as these offsets are obviously lacking chlorophyll, if they wern't there would be some sign of chlorophyll in the centre of the new shoots and there is none. So I would leave them in place, larger pot yes, which at the same time would give more nutrients. Should a shoot get knocked off when repotting then that shoot would have to be grafted to survive.

Good luck,

Suzanne
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

topsy wrote:HI,

I am afraid that I disagree with Rod...

Suzanne
No problem Suzanne. This is not an exact science. It does seem odd, if these are offsets, that they should all be chlorophyll deficient when the parent plant clearly isn't. Unless they are not offsets, as Dave has suggested. :???:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Brian
You could try to graft one offset
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

If you zoom in on the picture you can see roots between the offsets. Bigger pot, fresh soil and they might go green again.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Brian »

The oddities are offsets and did not grow from seed. Yes Chris there are indeed roots, so I intend to depot sometime and see what I find. I suspect nothing unusual. More than likely I will put in a slightly bigger pot and keep in tact, to find out what happens.

Philippe ~ an interesting suggestion, I am not sure I have the courage to do grafting on my own. Maybe I should ask around at the branch and find somebody more adventurous.