potting compost

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Marise
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

potting compost

Post by Marise »

Do people have favourite brands of JI compost that they use to make their own recipe for potting? I'm struggling to find one that doesn't have unnecessary bits in i.e. stones, bits of wood etc. I'm fed up with having to pick out the rubbish!
BCSS 49518
Midlands, UK
Growing anything that takes my fancy.
BryanW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: potting compost

Post by BryanW »

Personally I use Westland but I still have to riddle out the unwanted bits before i mix it with any sand, gravel and/or coir. I would use more expensive stuff if i didn't have to re-pot so often.

I purchased a set of Bonsai Stainless Steel Garden Sieves off e-bay for less than £20 delivered
I use it to recover gravel from spent compost and to riddle out unwanted rubbish from new compost, long term it saves me money.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Marise,

The brand we are using is Clover (an Irish brand as the name might suggest). This seems to be more like the JI I used at the beginning of my days with succulents. So far I have found no rubbish of any description in their bags, but I do still put it through a sieve to be sure and to break up the odd lump or compost.

Like you I have found so much rubbish in the bigger brands including glass and of course there was the instance with some recycled compost of lawn mowings being used which had been treated with weed killer and which had a very bad effect on our potted plants.

Our branch bought a pallet full (80 bags) of this brand and it is nearly all sold to our members and worked out at £3.30 per 25 kg bag.

If you cannot find "Clover" then I believe that "Erin" is very similar.

Best wishes,

Suzanne
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

topsy wrote:The brand we are using is Clover
Hi Suzanne,
Is this the moss peat compost? I can get that locally from a farm supplies shop and have used it on my garden.
BCSS Member 51898
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Westland for me too, and Homebase's own brand is quite good.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Bryan,

Yes that's the stuff. Looks too good for the garden.

We add RHS potting grit, Tesco cat litter, Rock dust and fish, blood & bone fertiliser ratio 2:1:1:0.5:1 handful fertiliser, mix well.

Suzanne
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

I've tried various different ones over the last few years, and have yet to find one that I like. The old J. Arthur Bowers used to be my favourite until they changed it.
I now use only a small amount of compost in my mix- about 20%, with the rest being made up of chick grit, cat litter and perlite. The current batch of JI is No.3, the Bord na Mona version but while the texture is fine it seems to have a few weed seeds in it!
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Make your own JI compost if you cannot get a decent brand, at least you know what goes into it. There is no difference between JI 1 to 3 except for amount of fertiliser added. These days the original fertiliser recipe is usually replaced by a normal balanced one.

If you use JI as one ingredient of your compost, adding grit etc to the mix, you just modify their original recipe and add it at the mixing stage. JI without peat is not a JI compost since peat is an essential part of the original formula.

See:-

http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/s ... -Explained!
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

topsy wrote:Hi Bryan,

Yes that's the stuff. Looks too good for the garden.

We add RHS potting grit, Tesco cat litter, Rock dust and fish, blood & bone fertiliser ratio 2:1:1:0.5:1 handful fertiliser, mix well.

Suzanne
Great stuff, it's cheaper than Westland :cool: (tu)
RE usage; 12 bags of it was mixed with garden soil and coir for raised flower/veg beds
BCSS Member 51898
Marise
BCSS Member

Post by Marise »

Thanks everyone. I'll look out for some of those brands I've not heard of before. I'll probably get a sieve too instead of picking out by hand.
(tu)
BCSS 49518
Midlands, UK
Growing anything that takes my fancy.