Which fertilisers?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Which fertilisers?

Post by DaveW »

Saw this in the paper about the Governments proposed ban, but cannot find any reference on the Web as to which fertilisers are to be banned. Does anybody know?

"Under a new clean air strategy to be announced on Tuesday, wood burners that pump out too much smoke will be banned from sale, along with certain types of car tyres and brakes, cleaning solvents, fertilisers and solid fuels."
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Which fertilisers?

Post by Tony R »

Michael Gove is launching this strategy in all its detail later today, so watch that space, but the high-level bullet point on this subject in the Press Release says:

"For the first time the government will take concerted action to tackle ammonia from farming – which is responsible for 88% of ammonia emissions – by requiring farmers to invest in the infrastructure and equipment that will reduce emissions. Farmers will be supported to achieve this through our new system of public money for public goods."
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

The culprit here I think is ammonia emissions, so I am guessing the government needs mainly to reduce the use of urea-based fertilisers on farms.

(edit)
Sorry Tony, we've overlapped.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

ragamala wrote: (edit)
Sorry Tony, we've overlapped.
No problem (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)