Guess the flower!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Guess the flower!

Post by KathyM »

Thanks for the advice, I think I will definitely try removing all the stems. I repotted it last year and the tubers were pretty big so I think it will be okay. I keep most of my plants in an unheated greenhouse so I can't blame a lack of a winter cool period. It has been a bit neglected over the years and probably hasn't been fed and watered much so that probably hasn't helped, but it's repotted now and in a better position in the greenhouse. I won it in a raffle years and years ago and I think I just never paid it much attention.

I have just bought a Pterocactus fischeri too.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Guess the flower!

Post by DaveW »

Not been able to process photos until now due to Windows update 1803 messing up my Elements. Had to make changes to the Registry to get it working again.

Anyway here is the same Pterocactus tuberosus I posted earlier but I let the top growth multiply. No flowers for two years in between until there was enough top growth, then it had 8 flowers on it. Unfortunately due to not being able to process I did not bother to take a picture. Here it is in bud, but they are hard to count.
tuberosus-2.jpg
Seems to get it to flower it is a case of taking most top growth off, or letting the top growth grow for a few years. It looks far tattier when you don't prune it though
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.