Shading

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Shading

Post by ChrisR »

I normally use Bayer Coolglass for my greenhouse shading but as my local GC had none this year I bought what they had, "Growing Success" Greenhouse Shading. Never used it before but it went on well, much the same as Coolglass and the box says it turns clear in rain to maintain light levels which Coolglass doesn't do. But I just returned after 3 weeks away to find at least 50% has washed off in the rain - some use! So now I have to find some Coolglass and do it all over again.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Shading

Post by iann »

So it does go clear when it rains (tu) Unfortunately never goes back white again (td)
Cheshire, UK
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I too could not find Coolglass shading powder (Aluminium oxide) for sale this year, so bought Vitax Summer Cloud liquid greenhouse shading instead. It did not wash off from the inside of the roof!

It also has not washed off from the outside of an Alton greenhouse. However, I found it difficult to use in small quantities. There is an oily fluid on top of the white liquid which does not stay mixed in suspension for long. So if you tip up the bottle, all you tip out is this and not the white shading at the bottom. This product is probably designed to be sprayed on, using a whole bottle at one time, whereas I wanted to paint it on when needed. Repeatedly dipping something like a spoon in, can extract small quantities.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I have to say I have never shaded.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You don't grow conophytums Mike.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Nor Haworthia, I simply put 50% shade cloth on the outside of the roof/

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Bayer Coolglass works much better than any other but they seem to have stopped making it. It should be about £5 for four sachets and I fell for a ebay seller selling it at £5 a sachet and showing a photo of a full box instead. I found a shop selling old stock last year and bought three boxes, went back again recently and bought their last three boxes, they were produced six years ago! Best place to look is for old stock at a garden centre or pay an excessive £25 a box from ebay or Amazon.
Stuart
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Thinking outside the box, you can buy bulk quantities of metal oxide powders from lapidary suppliers, used as the final stage in polishing stones in a rock tumbler. I've not tried it myself but I've got some in the shed somewhere- will try it and report back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I found this Coolglass at "old" prices - ish - no mention of not being in stock but I wouldn't be sure -

https://www.rodbers.com/Shop/p/coolglas ... se-shading

There was a thread on thgis topic last year, I recall. After that I found some last packets of Coolglass at my local hardware shop which will keep me going another year now.

Coolglass is 95% Titanium oxide, but the binder is not stated. Does anyone know what the added ingredient is?

I guess when my Coolglass is used up I will try shading with a titanium oxide/water mix, or old-fashioned whitewash using hydrated lime (both these available very cheaply on ebay). Re-applying a coat if it washes off too soon isn't an issue for me as I have easy access to the glass panes.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

In the days before proprietary products were sold for greenhouse shading the old gardeners just used to use whitewash:-

https://www.hunker.com/13424244/how-to- ... -whitewash

Looks as if he is actually using it for a cactus house:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYGVDcI_ZUw
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.