Thrixanthocereus senilis question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KeithG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Thrixanthocereus senilis question

Post by KeithG »

Last year I bought a Thrixanthocereus senilis which I googled (as I do with my impulse buys) for care info. I seem to recall reading that it was prone to rot if overwatered but I'll be damned if I can find that now. Is this correct or have I imagined it?
It's back in growth now in the porch and looks more than happy but I prefer to put my plants out in the summer unless it is not going to work, ie Tacca chantrieri was never going to bloom outdoors in the UK.
Thanks for reading.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Thrixanthocereus senilis question

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Keith
I do have a yellow tab in the pots with Thrixanthocereus senilis in, just to remind me that it is rot prone.
If you look up care treatment for this plant under its old name Espostoa senilis, usually that rot prone message is normally mentioned.
I grow T. senilis in slight shade, which means it is going to dry out that little bit slower so that is why I keep a tab in the pot.
Hope this helps.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

This sounds like generic "cactus cultivation" advice rather than anything specific to this plant, I'm sure it would be fine outside (although I'm partly sheletering a lot of my plants from the ongoing torrential rains at the moment).

For example, llifle.com seems to say something like this for most cacti, even though they may not be especially sensitive for cacti: "Soil: Grow it in a rich and particularly draining substratum, as it is very sensitive to rottenness when in presence of humidity and low temperatures and let the soil dry out between waterings." http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _celsianus

On a quick search, I couldn't find T. senilis there (even as a synonym), but the above is pretty typical, for an easy to grow species.
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Thanks for the replies (tu)

So no need to fret too much about it being outdoors then. Plenty of air movement, my mix is free draining and the eaves of the house extend out far enough to give all my small cacti reasonable protection from monsoon weather.
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by johno »

hi
T senilis is very tender and if outside any cold or cold winds can cause rot to start .
johno
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

johno wrote:hi
T senilis is very tender and if outside any cold or cold winds can cause rot to start .
johno
Thank you (tu)
Do you mean in combination with dampness during autumn, winter and spring or are you including summer as well?
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by johno »

hi
minimum temp of 10 c in winter and kept dry and should be ok i have had 2 for over 10 years.i live in York and would never put T senilis outside.
johno
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

johno wrote:hi
minimum temp of 10 c in winter and kept dry and should be ok i have had 2 for over 10 years.i live in York and would never put T senilis outside.
johno
Thanks!
Not an ideal candidate for an unheated greenhouse then.