Curious xeric bromeliad

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Curious xeric bromeliad

Post by Ali Baba »

In 2009 Chris Hynes sent me some pollen of his ISI silver leafed clone of Deurocohnia which has very long slender branched inflorescences and small greenish yellow flowers. I crossed it with a nice rather robust form of Dyckia fosteriana which has short unbranched inflorescences and relatively large orange flowers.

I got several seedlings, and kept the nicest. Vegetatively it is intermediate between the parents, having the rather viciously toothed slightly more triangular leaves of Deuterocohnia and the silver overlay, plus the nice purple colouring of the Dyckia.
IMGP4271.JPG
It has finally flowered this year, showing that it is definitely a hybrid, having a very long branched inflorescence, with small orange flowers. Not very spectacular in flower, but more exciting than Deuterocohnia!
Attachments
IMGP4262.JPG
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Curious xeric bromeliad

Post by Phil_SK »

That's rather beautiful. A good balance between the purple underneath and the silver overlay.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia