Tunilla time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Tunilla time

Post by Phil_SK »

My Tunilla have got their act together this year and some a flowering that haven't done before, giving me the opportunity to post a photo with 8 different ones flowering at the same time.
P6100052.jpg
A few of them have got their timing wrong, however.
P6100053.jpg
Other than colour, there's not much difference between them...
P6100055.jpg
P6100056.jpg
P6100058.jpg
...apart from this one, which always has mutant filaments with bits of stigma attached.
P6100057.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Terry S.

Re: Tunilla time

Post by Terry S. »

Your Tunilla jungle looks like a no-go area. The only one that I ever had got dumped, because every time I got near to it I was attacked! My "Opuntia" chaffeyi has got the same threat lying over it, but the flowers are so lovely.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

I'm officialy envious :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Good work there Phil. What label do you have on the last one?
Are they allotted one seed tray each?
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, they're not a section of the greenhouse that I mess about with very often. I was fed up with their habit of growing down into the gaps between round half pots so, in the absence of square pots, I thought it would be a good idea to put them in foil food/takeaway trays and then stand these in large plastic trays. Unfortunately, they haven't weathered very well and transplanting them to something else is on the cards. Half seed trays would suit some but I could really do with some 3/4-sized trays for some of the larger/nicer ones as full trays would be over-generous.
0005.jpg
The last plant came from Bill Greenaway as chilensis ex Mächler and I read somewhere (and I wish I could remember where) that the Mächler plant is ex-Ritter.
0001.jpg
0002.jpg
Some better shots of the funny flowers.
0003.jpg
0004.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

It does look exactly the same as the plant I have labelled chilensis. A couple of the clones I got from you a few years back have flowered this year but leaning in over the bench to try and see the labels is fraught with danger....I do find it difficult to persuade more folk to love them.
I am tempted to treat the best clones to larger pots but sadly it just leads to ever increasing problems with space. The polytunnel on the allotment is rapidly going the same way as the greenhouse did and all thoughts of tomatoes and cucumbers are fading away......
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch