Help with cacti

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Purpletaz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Help with cacti

Post by Purpletaz »

Hi All
I've been successfully growing succulents for 3 years but have recently bought some cacti from a garden centre and a couple from my local BCSS show. Is there anything different or particularly important I need to know which is different to caring for succulents? IE. Is it ok to use tap water or should it be rain water, and is it ok to use Chempak no.8 feed or should I not feed them? Is it best to leave in direct or indirect sunlight and is watering once per week ok in the summer and how often over winter should I water them if they are either kept indoors or in a heated lean-to greenhouse over winter?
When I first got one of the cacti it had several flowers that were about to bloom. However they started to open but then seemed to dry out. I'm not sure if this is because they were over watered or if it's because they went from store growing conditions straight to full sun all day on s South facing patio.
Claire
Attachments
This is the flowers
This is the flowers
Purpletaz - Succulent obsession, mostly Echeveria, Sempervivum, Agave, Aloe and Aeoniums in a small garden plot and a small lean-to greenhouse. :grin:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Help with cacti

Post by iann »

The basics are the same, at least the same as summer-growing succulents. Cacti tend to need less water, or less often, than most leafy succulents. One per week is probably too often in summer. Often no water at all over winter, perhaps small cacti in centrally-heated conditions might need a sip. Usually best to keep them cool, occasionally cold, over winter, but some are tropical and don't like any cold at all.

Tap water is usually OK, but some cacti don't really like hard water. Rainwater is usually a safe bet. Chempak #8 is a good choice, other fertilisers are available.

Direct sun is best for most species, but some prefer a little shade, and quite a few may need some light midday shading in a greenhouse. A greenhouse is generally best for added heat in the growing season. Flowers may not open properly indoors through lack of heat.
Cheshire, UK
Purpletaz
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Re: Help with cacti

Post by Purpletaz »

Thank you Iann that's really helpful
Purpletaz - Succulent obsession, mostly Echeveria, Sempervivum, Agave, Aloe and Aeoniums in a small garden plot and a small lean-to greenhouse. :grin: