And so it begins

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

And so it begins

Post by Astro »

My first Lithops flower for the year (hopefully not the last :)) One of the usual suspects, but a first-timer and a few weeks earlier than I've seen here in the past. Note how the flowering plant is one of two seedlings with a 'mature' complete fissure, the others still have an incomplete fissure (not sure if that actually indicates they won't flower yet).
L. pseudotruncatella 'mundtii'
L. pseudotruncatella 'mundtii'
IMG_1140.JPG (142.84 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: And so it begins

Post by AndrewB »

Do those fissures go from incomplete to complete in one year, or does it happen to be one or two years once full size attained.

Your post title reminds me of the Babylon 5 intro scene!
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

AndrewB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 pm Do those fissures go from incomplete to complete in one year, or does it happen to be one or two years once full size attained.

Your post title reminds me of the Babylon 5 intro scene!
(From my forum reading) it's usually a few growth cycles, more for some, less for others. I'll try to find the thread!

Edit: here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170901#p302541
Mat
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

The larger yellow-flowered species start with little tiny fissures and they get longer each year. Most of them will have full-width fissures after a couple of years, but L. pseudotruncatella is especially slow and might take 3-5 years to get a full-width fissure.
Cheshire, UK
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Hi Matdz and Iann,

Thanks for your answers.

I noticed with my pseudotruncatella seedlings that they seem to have a rounder rather than oval shape, as well as incomplete fissures. Comparing to flowering size plants, this also seems that it might be a juvenile characteristic.
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.