Avonia quinaria ?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Keith H
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Avonia quinaria ?

Post by Keith H »

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167036 on Avonia I mentioned that I had bought three little Avonias at the Whitstable cactus mart but expressed doubt that I would see them flower, well one obliged by flowering over the weekend for me.
Avonia1.JPG
and a side shot showing the tiny claudex, yes the thing that looks like a top dressing stone, which at under 10mm must be less than half the diameter of the flower.
Avonia2.JPG
I was expecting the usual bluish purple flower, so to the question is it :
a, Avonia quinaria
or b, Avonia quinaria subs. alstonii (is flower colour the only difference?)
or c, a hybrid

Help with the ID would be much appreciated but I am well chuffed to have seen it flower.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Avonia quinaria ?

Post by iann »

A. alstonii has white flowers that are much larger than the pink ones on A. quinaria. There are other differences but they are less definitive. No doubt though, you can add "alstonii" to the label. I see nothing to suggest a hybrid.
Cheshire, UK
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Avonia quinaria ?

Post by Keith H »

iann wrote:A. alstonii has white flowers that are much larger than the pink ones on A. quinaria. There are other differences but they are less definitive. No doubt though, you can add "alstonii" to the label. I see nothing to suggest a hybrid.
Thank you very much Iann.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554