Solufeed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Solufeed

Post by Peter »

This Chichester based company manufactures plant feeds, mainly for commercial growers, and also caters for hobby growers.

As I have decided to move my plants onto a balanced diet I recently ordered a 5kg pack of their 1:1:1 formulation. This cost £23.50 including free of charge delivery. This provides a worthwhile saving compared to Chempak 3 which at first glance seems quite similar. They also supply 1kg packs and in a range of formulations.

The 25kg pack comprises 5no separate foil packages in a box.

As always, I shall be using my Miracl- Gro hose end feeder to apply this product (having checked suitability with Solufeed's tech dept), this being the method that allows me to feed 2-3000 plants in 20 minutes!
http://www.shop.solufeed.co.uk
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Solufeed

Post by DaveW »

I have a Miracle Grow hose end feeder Peter, but never know how much fertiliser you put in to get the correct dilution for use. When I bought it the whole bottle was just filled full of Miracle grow granules, put I presumed you did not leave all of it in there and just plug it in? How much fertiliser do you put in the bottle?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Dave: you are right to point out the difficulty of accurate gauging of dosing using low cost hose end feeders. With regard to Miracle Grow in particular, I have always left the full packet in the feeder. This gave two full feedings of my extensive collection with plain waterings in between. This worked well and has done so for well for me for over twenty years. I have over that period occasionally changed the feed, including using Phostrogen and Chempak, always using the feeder.

A major factor of course is water flow rate. In the case here, flow rate is excellent either from my water butts or from mains supply.

If there is any doubt, the way to proceed is to half fill the container with the fertiliser. This will allow result assessment and in fact I shall be doing so for the next couple of feedings with the Solufeed product however I have no doubt that it will be successful.

The method of feeding is a personal decision. I am clear that I have no interest in taking up to two hours constantly filling and applying feed from watering cans.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

I have always assumed that there is supposed to be solid feed in the container. The water here is then at a known constant concentration - it is saturated.
The mechanism then allows the appropriate, small flow rate out of the container to mix with the main flow and give the required concentration.
Cheers
David Lambie
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LANCASTER

Post by Herts Mike »

Interesting that you have gone for the equivalent of 3 rather than 4 or 8, the latter being quite popular here.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Mike: tradition has it that cacti benefit from low nitrogen feed but I'm unsure as to where this notion came from. It is certainly understandable that a nitrogen rich fertiliser could possibly produce excessive, weak growth, however there has been discussion that a balanced blend (i.e. 1:1:1) could actually be beneficial.

This change of feed is something that I'm keen to try. The somewhat comical element here is that for 30 years or so I've been feeding with Miracle Grow and the like and the formulation for that is 24:8:16, i.e. high nitrogen - and my plants are certainly not leggy and weak! Is it so then, that what we've been told doesn't hold water (so to speak) hence my enthusiasm to try a balanced, neutral mixture.

David: thanks for your lucid explanation.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LANCASTER

Post by Herts Mike »

Peter, I think the nitrogen in Miracle Gro isn't available to pot plants.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Find that difficult to accept, Mike. Their web site shows pics of lush green pot plants and given the high percentage of nitrogen, what happens to it if the plant does not take it up?
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

D^L wrote:I have always assumed that there is supposed to be solid feed in the container. The water here is then at a known constant concentration - it is saturated.
The mechanism then allows the appropriate, small flow rate out of the container to mix with the main flow and give the required concentration.
That's never going to work, as eventually enough will be used up that it is no longer saturated. Indeed, you can see the colour fade as you use it up.

In my "professional" mixer I make the (Ericaceous) Miracle Grow up at 100 x the normal strength, and it is certainly all dissolved at that concentration; the concentrate is 20 L water to 500g fertiliser. But when making it up, the Miracle Grow seems pretty much all dissolved even in much less water than that.
Peter wrote:With regard to Miracle Grow in particular, I have always left the full packet in the feeder. This gave two full feedings of my extensive collection with plain waterings in between. This worked well and has done so for well for me for over twenty years.
That's almost exactly what I find, funnily enough - a 20L container of concentrate is about enough to water my collection twice.

And like you you, despite now using a fertiliser higher in Nitrogen, I certainly dont find my plants are leggy. Before, I used a Chempack low nitrogen feed, but now the plants are growing better, with stronger spines etc. Of course, that could also be due to better light, better temperature grow control, lower humidity and other factors in my new greenhouse. But still, the fertiliser certainly isn't causing any obvious problems.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Solufeed have a summary guide to plant nutrition on their website:
https://shop.solufeed.co.uk/advice-tips ... nutrition/
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)