Identification for a lobivia please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Identification for a lobivia please

Post by MikeDom »

I grew this plant from seed in 1978 so it has just reached it's 40th anniversary. It came from a packet of mixed Lobivia seeds I bought from Woolworths. It stands 52cm tall above the pot. It has always been solitary, possibly because it's been in the same pot for the last 30 years. The flowers are a pure yellow and last a day and it flowers throughout summer. The spines have a an orange-reddish colouration at their base before they turn a brown-black. The photos were taken under shading, the base colour of the cactus is a dark green.

I know that Lobivia has sort of merged into Echinopsis so I wouldn't really know where to start in identification. Could any experts help please?

Incidentally, the Leuchtenbergia Principis in the background are the same age.

Many thanks.
lobivia3.jpg
lobivia3.jpg (195.94 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
lobivia2.jpg
lobivia2.jpg (210.09 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
lobivia1.jpg
lobivia1.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Identification for a lobivia please

Post by Phil_SK »

The spination at the top of the stem and the yellow flower (though I'd say not the shape or the white throat) look like Echinopsis aurea but the height, and maybe a bit of the bristliness of the spines, suggests it's a hybrid with something a bit trichocereus, spachianus, for example.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Possibly something of the Echinopsis, Trichocereus, Helianthocereus huascha ilk? I think the flowers on this can vary from yellow to bright red.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

I have the same plant in collection with stronger spines and 2 rejects at the base which is 30cm high
Lobivia aurea fallax on the label