Disappointed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Disappointed

Post by Phil_SK »

The entry in Englera 16 "Cactaceae of South America: The Ritter Collections" indicates that he encountered it in March 1955. Only a few diaries cover this time, so it's easy to find. There seems to be only one spread for Cruz del Eje, in vol 21, spread 15-15a as numbered in the pdf. The gymnos are 10, 11 and 12, I think. It's quite high on the Ritter readability scale but still beyond me. I'm sure plenty of gymno fans have looked at it already and not learned much.
1515a.JPG
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Detlev
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Detlev »

As already written here by other forum members, Gymnocalycium monvillei is very variable and can have pure white flowers, but also those with pink hue. With its green bodies, bright yellow thorns and large flowers, it is one of the most beautiful Gymnocalycium species in nature and cultivation. The picture of your plant confirms that.

G. schuetzianum can indeed have beautiful dark pink flowers. The intensity of the colour can vary depending on the growing conditions at flowering time. In my collection I have plants from FR 430 which have these pink flowers. One of the plants is vegetatively propagated from the holotype specimen. I got this plant over 30 years ago from Hans Till. Since the plant is sprouting, I should now root the few cuttings. Cactuspip, it would not be impossible to send one or two cuttings from here (Germany) to England, although they are still too small for flowering. Let me know.

Unfortunately I was never successful in obtaining fruits, although the plants of FR 430 flowered often at the same time and I could pollinate them. And like other visitors, I could not find G. schuetzianum when I was looking for cacti near Cruz del Eje. The origin of the species (?) still has to resolved.
G_schuetzianum_DM.jpg
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactuspip »

Detlev,

I would be extremely pleased to receive a cutting or two from you.

I would be happy to pay for the cutting(s) and also the postage costs, of course.